Meet the Vegan Queso of your dreams. Made with cashews, no one will guess this DREAMY CREAMY dip is dairy free! It only takes 10 minutes to whip up and 5 simple ingredients.
I have made this vegan queso so many times the last couple of years. I have non-vegan friends who request this dip at every get together, whether it’s for a Superbowl party, Fourth of July or just a Friday night.
This vegan queso is LIFE CHANGING people, and if you’re trying to go vegan or eat more plant based food but are finding it hard to give up cheese, you’ve got to try this recipe!
People can not BELIEVE this queso is non-dairy. It tastes better than the highly processed, dairy containing alternative, I promise! My family and friends love this dip, and I can’t get enough…Just melty, cheesy goodness.
PLEASE NOTE THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I ONLY LINK TO PRODUCTS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND RECOMMEND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
HOW TO MAKE VEGAN QUESO:
It’s so easy to make vegan queso.
- Soak 2 cups of cashews in hot water. I do this by heating water in my tea kettle, and pouring it over the cashews once boiling. Let them soak/soften for about 5 minutes.
- While the cashews are soaking, to a blender (high powered preferred) add 1/2 cup water, 4 tablespoons lemon juice, 2 teaspoons of salt, 1/2 cup nutritional yeast and drain the juice from the diced tomatoes and green chiles and add it to the blender.
- Drain the soaked cashews and add the the blender. Blend away!
See how smooth and creamy?
Pour the smooth, creamy mixture into a medium saucepan and add the canned tomatoes and green chiles. Heat over medium until warm, stirring frequently. That’s it!
Serve with lots of tortilla chips, or use with any one of these Mexican inspired vegan recipes:
This recipe makes quite a bit, but if there are going to be 10 or more people at an event I would double it just to make sure there would be enough to go around. If you have leftovers, you can refrigerate it and re-warm it either on the stovetop or in the microwave.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksplantbased on Instagram. Enjoy!
Adapted from this Detoxinista.
- 2 cups raw cashew pieces, soaked in hot water for 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice; from about 2 small lemons
- 2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 28 ounce canned Rotel tomatoes and green chiles
Add the drained soaked cashews, water, lemon juice, salt and nutritional yeast to a high powered blender. Drain the juice from the tomatoes and green chiles and add the liquid to the blender as well (don't add the tomatoes and green chiles yet). Blend on high for a few minutes until very smooth.
Add the "cheese" sauce and the Rotel tomatoes and green chiles to a medium pot. Stir well and warm gently over low-medium heat. Be careful not to burn the queso; stir frequently while warming. The mixture will thicken slightly.
Serve while warm with tortilla chips and enjoy!