Easy Vegan Crepes
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Learn how to make the best easy vegan crepes at home! Perfectly tender, thin and delicate. Can be paired with sweet or savory fillings.
Crepes are one of the first things I ever learned how to cook. I was in college and didn’t know how to cook or bake AT ALL, but for some reason I had to make crepes!
These crepes are just like the ones I used to make, but vegan. They’re tender, delicate, thin and delicious with a variety of toppings/fillings.
My absolute favorite way to eat crepes is with a squirt of lemon juice, powdered sugar, berries and pure maple syrup. YUM.
How to make vegan crepes
First, make your crepe batter. Whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cornstarch, sugar, salt) then add in your wet ingredients (oil, non-dairy milk, water). Whisk until very smooth and combined. You could also use a hand mixer or put everything in a blender and blend until smooth.
Melt some vegan butter in a pan, then add about 1/3 cup of the crepe batter. Immediately lift the pan and rotate it to create a thin, round crepe.
Cook until the top looks fairly dry, then carefully flip and cook for 30 seconds on the other side. Remove from the pan and repeat with the rest of the batter.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Don’t heat the pan too hot. You want them a light golden color, but not burnt or they won’t be as pliable or foldable. Medium heat is best.
- Use sparkling water instead of regular water if you can, this makes them even lighter and tastier! If you don’t have it, no worries regular water will work fine.
- For best results, use a medium sized non-stick pan and definitely use vegan butter in the pan for buttery flavored crepes.
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Do you need a special crepe pan?
No, you really don’t need a special pan to make crepes. However, if you get really into making crepes you may want to get a crepe pan! I recommend using a non-stick pan of some kind, cast iron isn’t the best choice here.
Can crepes be made gluten free?
I haven’t tried it myself, but I think you should be able to use a quality gluten free flour blend in place of the white flour to make them gluten free. If you try it, let me know!
Sweet crepe filling ideas:
- Lemon juice, powdered sugar, berries and maple syrup (my fave!)
- Vegan Whipped Cream, chocolate chips, maple syrup
- Vegan Nutella
- Vegan Caramel
Savory crepe filling ideas:
- Fill with tofu scramble (add some veggies, too!)
- Add tofu bacon or tempeh bacon crumbles
- Nacho Cheese Sauce or Nut Free Cheese Sauce
Want more sweet vegan breakfast recipes?
Easy Vegan Crepes
- 2-4 tablespoons vegan butter, for the pan
- 2-3 lemons sliced, for serving
- 2-4 tablespoons powdered sugar
- berries, optional for serving
- maple syrup, for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, sugar and salt. Now add the oil, non-dairy milk and sparkling water OR regular water (sparkling water makes them even lighter, but is not necessary). Whisk well until smooth and well combined.
- Heat a medium sized, non-stick pan to medium heat. Once hot, add a tablespoon or two of vegan butter to the pan. Once melted, add about 1/3 cup of the batter to the pan. Immediately pick up the pan and rotate it to move the batter into a thin circle.
- Cook until the top looks fairly dry, about 2 minutes. Using a spatula, carefully flip the crepe over and cook for 30 seconds on the other side. Remove from pan and repeat with the rest of the batter.
- Serve: My favorite way to serve crepes is by squirting a little lemon juice on the crepe, add some powdered sugar, and roll or fold. Dust with more powdered sugar and serve with fresh berries and maple syrup.
- If desired, you may use white whole wheat or whole wheat pastry flour instead of white flour. For gluten free, use a quality gluten free flour blend. I haven't tried this myself, but I think it would work quite well.
- Tapioca starch may be used in place of cornstarch.
- Omit the sugar for savory crepes.
- You can use another kind of non-dairy milk if desired, such as almond, coconut, cashew or oat milk.
- Other crepe serving ideas: Vegan Whipped Cream, Vegan Nutella, Vegan Caramel, non-dairy chocolate chips. For savory, try filling with tofu scramble, tempeh bacon or tofu bacon crumbles and/or cheese sauce.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here