Vegan Pecan Bars
These are the most delicious Vegan Pecan Bars in the world, with a caramel pecan filling and shortbread crust. Better than pecan pie, with no corn syrup!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 40 minutes
Total Time 55 minutes
Servings 16 bars
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2/3 cup brown rice syrup
- 3 tablespoons non-dairy milk
- 3 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pecans
- optional: coarse salt, for sprinkling on top
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9 x 13 inch pan with parchment paper.
Prepare the crust: In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar and salt. Cut in the vegan butter with a pastry cutter, or two knives. The mixture will look like fine crumbs. Place in the prepared pan and press down evenly with your hands to form the crust. Bake for 10 minutes, then remove from oven and set aside while you make the topping.
Make the topping: In the same large bowl you made the crust in, stir together the brown sugar, brown rice syrup, non-dairy milk, melted vegan butter, cornstarch and vanilla until well combined and smooth. Fold in the pecans, then pour over the crust. Use a spatula to spread it out as evenly as possible.
Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes, until the pecan topping is bubbling. Remove from the oven, and let cool at room temperature for 30 minutes, then place in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours to set.
Carefully lift the parchment paper with the bars out of the pan and slice into bars with a large sharp knife. I like to cut off the edges as well because they get very hard. Store leftover bars in the refrigerator for 5-6 days.
- For Salted Caramel Pecan Bars, sprinkle with coarse salt right after they come out of the oven.
- May sub coconut oil for vegan butter in the crust, if desired.
- For gluten free, use a gluten free all purpose flour instead of regular flour, it should work quite well though I haven't tested it myself.
- The pecan bars freeze well in a covered container.
- This recipe makes 16 large bars, but you can cut them smaller if you'd like. For a party, I might cut them into 32 squares. Nutritional information is for 1 large bar.
Calories: 367kcal | Carbohydrates: 52g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 18g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 140mg | Potassium: 102mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 35g | Vitamin A: 523IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 1mg