This Chickpea Burger is so delicious and easy to make, no one will miss the meat! You can have these burgers ready in less than 30 minutes, making them a perfect weeknight meal.
Servings: 4 burgers
- 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/4 cup chopped small red onion (about 1/2 small red onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tahini or peanut butter
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro (may also use parsley)
In a large bowl, add the drained and rinsed chickpeas. Use a potato masher or fork to mash them until no whole beans remain.
Add the chopped red onion, garlic, cumin, salt, tahini, breadcrumbs and cilantro to the chickpeas, and stir with a large spoon until well combined.
Form into burger shapes, about 3-4 inches wide and 1/2 inch thick.
In a large pan, heat 1/4 cup of oil over medium heat. Carefully place the patties on the pan, and fry for about 4 minutes, then flip and cook for another 3-4 minutes until golden brown. Alternatively, you could bake the burgers at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, then flip and bake for 15 more minutes.
Remove from the pan and place on a paper towel lined plate.
Serve immediately on buns with toppings of choice. I went with vegan mayo, arugula, tomatoes and red onion slices. Enjoy!
- Gluten free - Use either gluten free breadcrumbs or gluten free certified rolled oats. Almond flour may work as well.
- You can substitute another bean if desired, such as kidney, black, pinto or white beans.
- These burgers are good with a variety of toppings, such as BBQ sauce, sautéed onions, lettuce and tomatoes, or hummus, red onion, lettuce, tomatoes, or guacamole and pickled jalapeños.
- Leftovers - Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 4 days, or freeze for longer.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 188kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 365mg | Potassium: 246mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 17IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 3mg