Fluffy Buckwheat Pancakes
These buckwheat pancakes are so fluffy, slightly nutty flavored and easy to make in 1 bowl! Totally vegan with a gluten free option.
Servings: 3 servings
- 3/4 cup buckwheat flour
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour OR more buckwheat flour*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 cups soy milk*
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons neutral flavored oil, such as canola or melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
In a large bowl, whisk together the buckwheat flour, regular flour (or more buckwheat for gluten free), baking powder, salt and sugar.
Pour the soy milk, apple cider vinegar, oil and vanilla into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir with a large spoon until just combined. A few lumps are okay; do not over mix or your pancakes won't be as fluffy.
Heat a large griddle or pan over medium-high heat. Grease the pan with vegan butter or coconut oil, and drop about 1/3 cup of the batter onto it. Cook until bubbles form, then flip and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 1-2 minutes. Repeat with all the remaining batter.
Serve buckwheat pancakes with maple syrup, vegan butter or peanut butter and some fresh fruit. Enjoy!
Leftovers: Store pancakes in the refrigerator in a covered container for 4-5 days or freeze them for longer.
- I used a light colored buckwheat flour <--- this one. Often, buckwheat flour is darker in color, so yours may take on a darker hue which is perfectly fine. It's just the brand I picked up.
- The flours: For fluffier, lighter pancakes use half buckwheat and half all purpose flour. Whole wheat pastry flour works too, OR use all buckwheat flour. Honestly, I tested both and my family couldn't tell a difference, but I thought they were a bit fluffier using half white flour.
- Soy substitute: You can use another plant milk instead of soy, such as almond, coconut, hemp, oat, whichever one you like.
- Oil free: Omit the oil and use more plant milk instead.
Serving: 1of 3 servings (about 2-3 pancakes) | Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 454mg | Potassium: 777mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 464IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 355mg | Iron: 4mg