Kale Caesar Salad
Hearty kale is tossed in a briny caesar dressing and topped with chickpea croutons to make this Kale Caesar Salad. It’s a crowd-pleasing vegan recipe that’s ready in just 30 minutes!
Servings: 4 large servings
- 2 large bunches lacinato kale, stems removed and chopped into 1 inch pieces*
- 15 ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- sprinkle salt + black pepper
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 small cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon brine from a jar of capers
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and lightly grease a baking sheet with a rimmed edge (or use a silicone mat/parchment paper.) Drain chickpeas and dry slightly with a clean tea towel or paper towels, trying to remove as much moisture as possible.
Add the chickpeas to the baking sheet. Drizzle on the olive oil. Sprinkle the garlic powder plus a pinch of salt and pepper on top of the chickpeas. Mix gently with your hands or a spatula in the pan. Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes, until crispy but not burnt. Set aside.
Meanwhile, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Pour the hot water over the cashews and let soak for 5 minutes. Drain the cashews and discard the soaking water. Add them to a high powered blender along with ¾ cup fresh water and all the remaining dressing ingredients. Blend until very smooth.
Add the washed and chopped kale to a large salad bowl. If desired, massage the kale for 2-3 minutes with a teaspoon of olive oil or dressing. Pour in the dressing and toss with the kale. Top with the chickpea croutons and a good sprinkle of vegan parmesan cheese. Serve with extra vegan parmesan cheese. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Alternatively, you can use pre-chopped kale. The negative thing is that there are almost always lots of stems left in pre-chopped kale, so it's better to chop it yourself.
- Feel free to use a mix of kale and romaine, or baby kale instead.
- Possible additions: halved cherry tomatoes, sliced avocado, diced cucumbers, Tempeh Bacon or shredded carrots.
- Instead of chickpea croutons, feel free to use real croutons <---- these are my favorite and they are vegan.
- The salad makes about 4 entree sized salads, or around 8 small servings.
- Kale is hearty and the salad will keep for up to 3 days, even with the dressing.
Serving: 1of 4 servings | Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 9mg | Sodium: 830mg | Potassium: 442mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 659IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 197mg | Iron: 3mg