Chickpea Tikka Masala
Drowning in a creamy and fragrant sauce, this Chickpea Tikka Masala is easy to make on the stove or in the Instant Pot. Serve it with rice and naan for a comforting Indian-inspired meal.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 13.5 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup water, as needed to thin the sauce
- (2) 15-ounce cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 4-5 cups cooked white or brown rice
- Vegan Naan
- chopped cilantro, parsley or green onions
In a large pan, warm the olive oil over medium-high heat. Sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger and cook for 1 more minute.
Now add the spices, salt, tomato sauce, coconut milk and drained/rinsed chickpeas. Stir until smooth and combined, then simmer, uncovered, for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Taste; add more salt or spices as desired. Serve immediately over rice with Vegan Naan and enjoy!
To make it in the Instant Pot
Sauté the onion for 3-4 minutes in the IP using the sauté feature, then add the ginger and garlic and cook for 1 more minute. Turn off the IP. Add the rest of the ingredients and give it a good stir. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes, then let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes or longer. Release any remaining pressure, open the lid, stir and serve over rice.
- Leftovers will keep for up to 5 days in the refrigerator, so it's perfect for meal prep! You can also freeze chickpea tikka masala.
- Consider adding some vegetables to the dish, such as sliced zucchini, chopped and peeled sweet potatoes, cauliflower florets or carrot rounds. Spinach or kale would also be good thrown in.
- Nutrition information does not include added rice.
Serving: 1of 6 servings | Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 13g | Sodium: 747mg | Potassium: 471mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 328IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 4mg