Oil-free Chocolate Cake
This cake is made with cooked sweet potato, non-dairy yogurt and whole wheat flour. The perfect cake if you are looking for a lighter option.
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, or regular sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup non-dairy chocolate chips, optional
- 3/4 cup cooked and peeled sweet potato, see notes
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup non-dairy yogurt, plain or vanilla
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 inch cake pan with oil, using as little as possible. You can also cut a circle of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. This will make it easier to pop the cake out when it's done.
Add all dry ingredients, including chocolate chips, in a large bowl and stir to combine.
In a blender, add the cooked and cooled sweet potato, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and pure vanilla extract. Blend until very smooth.
Add the blended mixture to the dry ingredients, and also dump in the non-dairy yogurt. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
Add the cake batter to the pan, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
Let cool completely before frosting (recipe below.)
- I simply microwaved a sweet potato for about 5 minutes, until it was cooked through. You can also bake a sweet potato whole, and then measure out 3/4 cup. I don't recommend boiling sweet potato chunks, as that may make the cake too watery and it won't turn out right.
- I used a cashew based plain yogurt, but any non-dairy yogurt will work such as soy, almond, coconut or cashew. If you are avoiding extra sugar, try to find an unsweetened variety.
- The chocolate chips are optional, but they add a lot to the cake! Calorie calculation includes chocolate chips.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 122kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 183mg | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 9g | Vitamin A: 1415IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 1mg