Dreamy Strawberry Rolls are loaded with fresh berries and drizzled with a cream cheese icing. Just like cinnamon rolls, but with strawberries! Perfect for a spring weekend breakfast and ready in an hour.
Servings: 8 rolls
For the dough
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 packet (2.5 tsp) quick rise yeast (instant yeast)
- 4 tablespoons vegan butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/4 cups all purpose flour, plus more as needed
For the filling
- 1 cup chopped small strawberries
- 3/4 cup strawberry jam
For the icing
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 3 tablespoons vegan butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
Make the dough
Warm the soy milk in the microwave for 1 minute. Make sure it is warm, like bathwater, not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl), add the warm soy milk, sugar and yeast. Stir.
To the yeast mixture, add the melted vegan butter, salt and 2 cups of flour. Stir with the dough hook or a large spoon until the mixture comes together. Add additional flour, 1/4 cup at a time, as needed until the mixtures pulls away from the sides of the bowl. It should still be soft and slightly sticky. If using a stand mixer, this should take about 4-5 minutes.
If not using a stand mixer, turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes, until you have a fairly smooth ball of dough. Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with a towel and let it rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. Here's what I do: Turn the oven to 170 degrees F. Once heated, turn it off, place the covered bowl inside the oven, and leave the oven door cracked.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a 9 inch pie dish.
Assemble the rolls
Sprinkle a clean counter or pastry mat with flour. Punch the dough down, and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a large rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle more flour on top while rolling to prevent sticking.
Spread the strawberry jam all over the dough, leaving an inch around the edges. Arrange the strawberries on top of the jam.
Starting with the long end closest to you, roll the dough into a tight log. Place seam side down. Using a serrated knife, cut off the two ends. Then slice into 8 rolls and place in the prepared pie plate.
Bake for about 30-35 minutes, until lightly golden brown and cooked through. Let them cool for 10-15 minutes before drizzling with icing.
Make the icing and serve
In a medium bowl, add the vegan cream cheese, vegan butter, powdered sugar and vanilla. Using a hand mixer (or stand mixer), beat until smooth and creamy.
Drizzle the rolls with icing, serve and enjoy!
- May substitute any non-dairy milk for the soy milk.
- You can use regular active yeast but the rolls will need to rise for an hour and a half instead of 20 minutes.
- FOR OVERNIGHT PREP: Follow the instructions until you have cut, uncooked rolls in the baking dish. At this point, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, remove from the refrigerator and allow to sit for an hour. Then, simply preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake for 30-35 minutes until done.
- These rolls work with other fruit as well, such as blueberries and blueberry jam, peaches and peach jam or blackberries with blackberry jam. Or you could do a mixed fruit variety!
- I haven't tried the rolls gluten free, but I would try an all purpose gluten free flour for best results.
Serving: 1of 8 servings | Calories: 458kcal | Carbohydrates: 81g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 229mg | Potassium: 131mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 45g | Vitamin A: 533IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 62mg | Iron: 2mg