Vegan Sour Cream
Vegan Sour Cream, made with 4 ingredients and 5 minutes. It's thick, creamy, tangy and the perfect substitute for dairy sour cream!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- OPTIONAL: 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy yogurt
Quick soak the cashews: Bring a few cups of water to a boil (I use my tea kettle for this). Add 1 1/2 cups cashews to a measuring cup and pour the boiling hot water on top to cover. Let them soak for 5 minutes, or 1 hour if you don't have a high powered blender. Drain the cashews and add to high powered blender. Now add 3/4 cup fresh water, apple cider vinegar, lemon juice and salt. Blend until very smooth.
Pour the cashew mixture into a bowl and stir in in the unsweetened yogurt. This is optional, but it brings the sour cream to another level in terms of texture and flavor.
Use immediately, or transfer to a small covered container and refrigerate. It will thicken up as it chills. The sour cream will keep for about a week. You may also freeze this if desired. Enjoy!
- May also soak the cashews overnight in water. I can never usually remember to do this so I use the quick soak method!
- If you do not have a high powered blender like a Vitamix, you may need to soak the cashews even longer to get a smooth cream, an hour or so.
- Add a can of green chiles to make a green chile sour cream, or a teaspoon or Sriracha hot sauce for spicy sour cream.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 150mg | Potassium: 160mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 9mg | Iron: 2mg