Easy Vegan Potato Soup
This Vegan Potato Soup is ultra creamy, comforting and ready in 30 minutes! It's best loaded with all the toppings: vegan sour cream, green onions, vegan cheese and vegan bacon bits.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 3 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 13.5 ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- salt, to taste (1/2-1 teaspoon depending on your broth)
Warm the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Now add the carrots, potatoes, thyme and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes, until the potatoes are fork tender.
Once the potatoes are tender, pour in the coconut milk and add the pepper. Use a potato masher to mash some of the soup, or blend some of the soup with an immersion blender until somewhat smooth. I prefer to leave a bit of chunky texture.
Taste, and add more salt as desired. Serve with toppings of choice and enjoy!
To make in an Instant Pot
Push the sauté feature on the Instant Pot. Add the olive oil, chopped onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until the onion in translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
Briefly turn off the Instant Pot, and add the carrots, potatoes, thyme and vegetable broth. Give it a little stir, then place the lid on, seal and cook on high pressure for 9 minutes. Release pressure manually, using a towel to prevent any burning. Blend or mash as desired and add coconut milk, pepper and salt to taste.
To make in a Crock Pot
Add all of the ingredients except the coconut milk to the crock pot and cook on HIGH for 4 hours or LOW for 8 hours. Once the potatoes are fork tender, blend the soup with an immersion blender to desired smoothness, then stir in the coconut milk. Season with salt and serve.
- Try serving with crumbled tofu bacon or tempeh bacon.
- If you don't want to use coconut milk, you can blend a few cups of the soup with a cup of raw cashews instead for creaminess. Or omit completely for a lighter soup.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days and freezes quite well if needed.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 279kcal | Carbohydrates: 37g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Sodium: 503mg | Potassium: 921mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 4072IU | Vitamin C: 37mg | Calcium: 42mg | Iron: 3mg