5 Minute Vegan Hot Chocolate
Learn how to make the best homemade Vegan Hot Chocolate in just 5 minutes! Perfectly creamy, chocolatey and rich with just the right amount of sweetness. Totally customizable, too!
Servings: 2 servings
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy free chocolate chips or chopped dark chocolate bar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- tiny pinch of salt
- coconut whip cream, vegan marshmallows, chocolate shavings (optional, for topping)
In a medium pot, add the almond milk, unsweetened cocoa powder, 1 tablespoon of sugar and chocolate chips.
Turn the heat to medium, and whisk to combine as it warms. The chocolate chips will slowly melt and it will become smooth and creamy. Do NOT bring the mixture to a boil, just heat and whisk until it's warm and smooth, then remove from heat.
Stir in the vanilla and a tiny pinch of salt. Taste for sweetness; add 2 more tablespoons for a sweeter drink (my kids prefer it sweeter, while I like it less sweet).
Pour into mugs and top with coconut whip, aquafaba whip or vegan marshmallows, if desired. Enjoy!
- I prefer almond milk for this recipe, but any non-dairy milk will work: soy, coconut or cashew are all good choices. Just use unsweetened and unflavored or it will make your hot chocolate too sweet!
- Use organic sugar to ensure vegan. May also use pure maple syrup or another sweetener, if desired.
- Chocolate chips or a chopped up dark chocolate bar will work for this recipe. Just read the ingredients to ensure there's no milk. You can also use various flavored vegan chocolate bars, such as peppermint dark chocolate, hazelnut, etc. for variation. My favorite brand is Theo. To make the hot chocolate less rich, simply add less chocolate.
- You can find non-dairy whip cream in all sorts of stores today! My favorite is So Delicious Coco Whip. Or make your own. Trader Joes sometimes has vegan marshmallows.
- This recipe is easy to double, or even triple for a crowd.
- Try adding a few drops of peppermint extract for Peppermint Hot Chocolate, then top with coco whip and crushed candy canes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 22g | Saturated Fat: 11g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 335mg | Potassium: 389mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 17g | Calcium: 338mg | Iron: 6mg