Vegan Black Bean Soup
30 minutes is all you need to make this simple, creamy and delicious Vegan Black Bean Soup! Serve with vegan sour cream, tortilla chips or perhaps my vegan cornbread.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and diced
- 3 celery ribs, chopped small
- 4 (15-ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce, or more to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
Heat the oil in a large soup pot over medium heat, then add the onion and saute for about 3 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and saute 1 more minute.
Add the diced carrot and celery, and saute for 1 minute, stirring. Pour in the beans, vegetable broth and cumin. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
Blend some of the soup: Put 3 cups of the soup in a blender, and blend until smooth. Add back to the pot and stir. Alternately, you can use an immersion blender to blend some of the soup right in the pot.
Add the lime juice, hot sauce and salt to taste. Serve immediately with desired toppings.
- This soup freezes well and will keep in the refrigerator for up to 5 days. It makes a great meal prep for a busy week.
- I prefer to blend some of the soup in a blender, as it gets creamier this way. An immersion blender will work fine, but it won't get as creamy. You can also blend more of the soup if you want it pureed without chunks.
- Instant Pot: Use the sauté feature in the Instant Pot and cook the onion, then the garlic, carrots and celery. Turn off the IP and add the rest of the ingredients, except for the lime juice and hot sauce. Stir, then seal and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Let pressure release naturally, then carefully remove the lid and stir in the lime juice and hot sauce. Blend some of the soup, if desired.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 235kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 765mg | Potassium: 768mg | Fiber: 16g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 1609IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 98mg | Iron: 5mg