The Best Vegan Enchiladas
Seriously the BEST Vegan Enchiladas! Made with all whole food ingredients, including easy plant "meat", black beans, and vegan cheese sauce.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 cups riced cauliflower | 1/2 medium head cauliflower
- 4 ounces mushrooms | 1/2 package, or 4-5 mushrooms
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth, more if needed
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce | tamari for gluten free
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 Recipe Vegan Nacho Cheese Sauce
- 12-15 corn tortillas
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Make the Enchilada Sauce:
Measure and add all the dry ingredients to a small bowl (flour, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin and salt). Have the tomato paste and vegetable broth ready and nearby.
In a medium pot over medium heat, warm the water. Once warm, pour in the flour/spice mixture and whisk constantly for about a minute. Whisk in the tomato paste, then slowly pour in the broth, whisking constantly.
Bring to a boil, then simmer for 5 minutes, whisking often to remove lumps. It should thicken a bit. Remove from heat, and whisk in the vinegar. Taste and add more salt as needed. Set aside.
Make the Taco "Meat":
If using whole cauliflower, wash, chop off the florets and place them in a food processor. Pulse, creating rice. Add 2 cups of cauliflower rice to a large pan on the stove.
Add the mushrooms and walnuts to the food processor, and pulse until they are a similar consistency as the cauliflower. Don't over process. Add to the pan with the cauliflower.
Turn the heat to medium-high, and pour in the vegetable broth (2 tablespoons), spices and soy sauce. Stir to combine. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes, stirring frequently. Add salt to taste, and remove from heat. Stir in the black beans.
Assemble the Enchiladas:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce in the bottom of a 9x13 inch casserole dish.
Wrap 5 tortillas at a time in a damp paper towel, and microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute to soften. This will make them much easier to roll.
Fill each tortilla with a scoop of "meat" and a spoonful of cheese sauce. Roll and place into the prepared pan. Repeat until all the tortillas are used. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce on top, then pour the rest of the cheese on top of the red sauce.
Bake, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes, until bubbly. Top with chopped cilantro and serve hot.
- For gluten free, use gluten free flour in the enchilada sauce, tamari instead of soy sauce and 100% corn tortillas.
- To make this recipe easier, you could buy pre-made vegan enchilada sauce. Check ingredient list as some brands have milk in them. You could also use vegan ground "beef" instead of the plant meat, or top the enchiladas with shredded vegan cheddar in place of the nacho cheese sauce. But they taste the best as written.
- Try subbing flour tortillas for the corn if desired.
- To make nut-free, omit the walnuts from the "meat" and use my Nut Free Cheese Sauce instead of the cashew based sauce.
- Calorie calculation does not include Nacho Cheese Sauce.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 308kcal | Carbohydrates: 48g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1333mg | Potassium: 722mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1264IU | Vitamin C: 30mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 4mg