The Best Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes
The BEST Vegan Chocolate Cupcakes! Moist, light, fluffy cupcakes with a mouthwatering chocolate frosting. Plus they're made in 1 bowl!
Servings: 12 cupcakes
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper liners. Spray the liners with a little oil to prevent sticking.
In a measuring cup, combine the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Let sit a few minutes until it curdles (this is your vegan buttermilk).
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt until well combined.
To the bowl with the mixed dry ingredients, add the oil, applesauce, vanilla and milk/vinegar mixture. Stir well with a large spoon or spatula until smooth and well combined. The batter should be fairly thin and smooth, not too thick. (see photos in post above for reference)
Fill the liners only half full. Do not overfill or the cupcakes will rise out of the liners and spill over. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
Cool completely, then pipe or spread on frosting as desired with Vegan Chocolate Frosting.
- Feel free to substitute almond, cashew, coconut or hemp milk for the soy milk. Any plant based milk will work here.
- You can substitute coconut oil or even melted vegan butter for the canola oil if you want.
- If you only want a little bit of frosting on each cupcake, you can cut the frosting recipe in half. But if you want it piped on like I did, you will need the full recipe.
- Calories are an estimate only, and will vary greatly on how much frosting you put on each cupcake.
- Cupcakes can be frozen, unfrosted, for up to 2 months. When ready to serve, thaw at room temperature and then frost. Leftover frosted cupcakes are best stored in the refrigerator in a covered container for up to 5 days.
- Gluten free - Use a quality all purpose gluten free flour.
- Mini cupcakes - Use a mini muffin pan, fill half full and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Can also make one 8-inch square or a round 9 inch cake out of this recipe. Bake for 30-35 minutes.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 399kcal | Carbohydrates: 59g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 273mg | Potassium: 114mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 47g | Vitamin A: 21IU | Calcium: 33mg | Iron: 1mg