Meaty Tofu Tacos are easy to make using crispy baked tofu, flavorful Mexican seasonings, and lots of toppings. No marinating or pressing the tofu required!
Servings: 4 servings
Tofu Taco "Meat"
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (tamari for gluten free)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 14 ounce block firm tofu, patted dry
- 8-10 small corn or flour tortillas
- Optional: Vegan Sour Cream
- Optional: salsa, diced avocado, diced tomatoes, non-dairy cheese shreds, shredded lettuce, cilantro
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
In a large bowl, mix together the olive oil, soy sauce, tomato paste, maple syrup, onion powder, garlic powder, smoked paprika and chili powder. Now crumble the tofu into the bowl with your hands, and mix together using a large spoon until well combined with the paste.
Spread the tofu mixture evenly in the parchment lined pan. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, then give it a little stir and bake for 15-20 more minutes, until the tofu is golden, crispy in places and chewy.
Remove from the oven and serve immediately in corn/flour tortillas with desired toppings.
- I usually double the recipe for my family of 5. If you double the recipe, the tofu will take longer to cook, more like 40-45 minutes.
- Tofu taco "meat" will stay good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. I don't recommend freezing it.
- For gluten free, use tamari instead of soy sauce and corn tortillas.
- Calories are for 1/4th of the tofu taco "meat" only. Calories will vary based on your tortillas and toppings.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 232kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 434mg | Potassium: 396mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 665IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 85mg | Iron: 2mg