Perfect Vegan Apple Pie
Perfect Vegan Apple Pie! With a flaky, buttery pie crust and tender, cinnamon sweet apple filling, this is the only apple pie recipe you need.
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 vegan pie crusts (double recipe)
- 7-8 medium sized apples (granny smith or honey crisp are best)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- few tablespoons non-dairy milk for brushing pie crust + sprinkle of coarse sugar, optional
Prepare the crusts: Make a double recipe of Vegan Pie Crust. Do not roll out immediately, but chill the two pie crusts as balls of dough in the refrigerator to rest until the filling is ready. Alternatively, you may use two store bought pie crusts, but the crust won't taste as good!
Make the apple filling: Peel and slice or chop the apples and add to a large saucepan. Add the lemon juice, sugar, flour, cinnamon and vanilla. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, just until the apples start to soften, about 10-15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
Sprinkle flour on a clean counter or surface and roll out the bottom pie crust to about 12 inches in diameter. Wrap it around your rolling pin and gently transfer to a 9 inch pie pan and cut off any excess hanging dough.
Add the apple filling, mounding it slightly in the center. Dab the top of the apple mixture with vegan butter.
Roll out the second crust and gently place it on top of the filling. Trim, seal and flute the edges. Cut a few slits in the crust to vent. Brush with a little non-dairy milk and sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
Bake for about 40 minutes, until the crust is golden brown and the apple juices are bubbly. If the crust gets too brown, place a pie shield around the crust.
Let the pie cool at room temperature for 30 minutes if you can (the filling will thicken a bit and cool down). Serve with vegan whipped cream or non-dairy vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!
- If using store bought pie crusts, check the ingredients list to ensure vegan friendliness. There are several that are naturally vegan, but making your own is always going to taste better.
- Gluten free option: Use my gluten free pie crust (double the recipe) and use a gluten free flour or cornstarch in the apple filling instead of regular flour.
- I like granny smith apples, honeycrisp or even pink lady apples for apple pie. I often use a mix.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 359kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Sodium: 198mg | Potassium: 212mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 1mg