Vegan Blueberry Scones
Tender, moist Vegan Blueberry Scones with simple glaze are a wonderful addition to any breakfast or brunch! Better than Starbucks!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 26 minutes
Total Time 36 minutes
Servings 8 scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons cold vegan butter (or solid coconut oil)
- 3/4 cup almond milk (soy or coconut milk fine)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4-1 cup fresh blueberries (may use frozen as well)
- OPTIONAL: lemon zest from 1 lemon
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, ground flaxseeds, salt and sugar.
Add the cold vegan butter, and use a pastry cutter or your hands to work the butter into the dry ingredients. It should resemble coarse crumbs.
Pour in the milk and vanilla, and stir until just combined. Fold in the blueberries.
On a lightly floured surface, knead the dough a few times until it comes together. Flatten the dough with your hands (lightly flour your hands if sticky). Flatten it into a circle, about 1 inch thick.
Using a pizza cutter or large knife, cut it like you would a pizza, into 8 pieces.
Place the scones onto the prepared baking sheet and bake for 22-26 minutes, until lightly golden brown on top.
Make the optional glaze:
Combine the powdered sugar, milk and vanilla in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. If the glaze is too thick, add more milk. If too thin, add more powdered sugar.
Let the scones cool for at least 15 minutes, then drizzle some of the glaze onto each scone. Let the glaze set before serving.
- May also use whole wheat pastry flour or white whole wheat flour. A gluten free flour mix would probably work, but I haven't tried it.
- You can sub the vegan butter with coconut oil that is hard. Cut it into the dry ingredients the same way.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 322kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 274mg | Potassium: 203mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 29g | Vitamin A: 542IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 105mg | Iron: 2mg