Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes
These beautiful Vegan Strawberry Cupcakes are made with plenty of fresh strawberries and the most luscious pink frosting. The perfect treat when strawberries are abundant at the farmer's market!
Servings: 12 cupcakes
- 10-12 medium/large strawberries
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons unsweetened soy milk
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup softened vegan butter
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup reduced strawberry puree
- 4-5 drops red or pink vegan friendly food coloring, optional
- 1 1/2 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup diced strawberries
- 12 whole strawberries, for topping each cupcake
Strawberry buttercream frosting
- 3 tablespoons reduced strawberry puree, completely cooled
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, slightly softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3-4 drops red or pink vegan friendly food coloring, optional
Make the strawberry puree
Rinse and hull the strawberries. Using a food processor or blender, puree them.
Pour the puree into a small pot and simmer for 25-30 minutes, until it reduces somewhat. You will need 1/3 cup for the cupcake batter, and 3 tablespoons for the frosting. Allow it to cool for a few minutes before adding to cake batter and let it cool completely for the frosting. I like to stick it in the freezer to speed this up.
Make the cupcakes
Combine the soy milk and apple cider vinegar. Stir a little, then set aside.
Using an electric hand mixer or a stand mixer, cream together the softened butter and sugar until creamy. Mix in the soy milk mixture, vanilla, reduced strawberry puree and food coloring, if using.
Stop the mixer, and add the cake flour, baking powder and salt to the wet ingredients. Mix on low speed until just combined, scraping the bowl as needed. Fold in the diced strawberries, gently.
Divide the batter evenly in the liners (3/4 full) and bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow them to cool in the muffin tray for 10 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
Make the frosting
Once the strawberry puree is cooled completely (you can do this by sticking it in the freezer), add the vegan butter to a bowl and mix until fluffy and creamy.
Add 1 cup of powdered sugar, then mix in the strawberry puree, vanilla and optional food coloring. Add the remaining powdered sugar and continue to mix until light and fluffy. If the frosting is too thin, add additional powdered sugar.
Frost and decorate
Pipe frosting onto the cupcakes, and top each one with a whole strawberry. Serve and enjoy!
Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 2-3 days, or the refrigerator for 4-5 days. They can also be frozen.
- May use another non-dairy milk such as almond, cashew or coconut.
- If you can not find cake flour, all purpose flour can be used, but they won't be and light and fluffy.
- For gluten free, substitute a gluten free all purpose flour. I like King Arthur's Measure for Measure Gluten Free Flour.
Serving: 1of 12 servings | Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 176mg | Potassium: 120mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 42g | Vitamin A: 746IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 49mg | Iron: 1mg