Vegan Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef)
This smoky, sweet, and savory Vegan Bulgogi (Korean BBQ Beef) is easy to make, flexible, and uses pantry-staple ingredients. Just throw everything in a skillet, serve over rice, and you’re done!
Servings: 5 servings
- 12 ounces Impossible or Beyond beef crumbles See Notes for options
- 1 small onion, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon agave
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, mined
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon dried red chili flakes, or more to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sesame seeds
- cooked white or brown rice (about 4 cups)
- chopped green onions (1/2 cup)
In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, add the vegan beef and cook until brown, using a wooden spoon to break it up into small chunks.
Once brown and no longer pink, add the sliced onion, soy sauce, brown sugar, agave, sesame oil, garlic, ginger, red chili flakes and black pepper. Stir well into the vegan beef.
Lower the heat to low-medium and continue to cook for 5-10 minutes.
Remove from heat and stir in the sesame seeds.
Serve over rice with chopped green onions and enjoy!
- Other beef substitutes: You may use half a bag (4 oz) soy curls, rehydrated. TVP also works, or sliced mushrooms. Jackfruit is also a good choice.
- For less sweet, feel free to adjust the sugar.
Serving: 1of 5 servings | Calories: 405kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 800mg | Potassium: 66mg | Fiber: 11g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 1IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 234mg | Iron: 8mg