The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
This truly is the BEST Vegan Mac and Cheese ever! Made with just 7 simple ingredients and ready in under 20 minutes. It's as easy as making boxed mac and cheese!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews (soaked)
- 1 cup water
- 1 large lemon, squeezed for juice (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 12 ounces elbow pasta (use gluten free if needed, or whole grain)
Soften your cashews by covering them in boiling water for 5 minutes. I do this by heating up water in my tea kettle, and then pouring the boiling water over the cashews in a large glass measuring cup.
Cook the pasta according to package instructions, but do not overcook.
While the pasta is cooking, add the soaked cashews, 1 cup water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, turmeric, garlic powder and salt to a high powered blender and blend until very smooth.
When the pasta is done, drain and return it to the pot. Stir in the cheese sauce, and serve!
Optional veggie add ins: Thawed frozen peas, roasted brussels sprouts, roasted cauliflower, roasted broccoli, cooked kale or roasted asparagus.
- The cheese sauce freezes well, so feel free to make extra sauce and freeze some for a super quick meal or kid's lunch option.
- Leftovers will last 3-4 days in the refrigerator. The sauce does thicken when it cools or sits out for awhile, but there is an easy fix. Simply add a little warm water and stir, noodles and all, while you reheat it. The sauce will thin and it will be perfect again.
- Gluten free - Use gluten free pasta, any variety you like.
- Nut free - This recipe won't work for you, but you might want to try my Nut Free Vegan Cheese and pair it with pasta, it's really yummy too!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 304kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 443mg | Potassium: 309mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 18mg | Iron: 2mg