Festive Kale Salad
This Festive Kale Salad features a fresh lemony dressing, dried cranberries and delicious pecan parmesan. It's my favorite kale salad recipe ever, and it's perfect for a holiday dinner! Gluten free, vegan & oil free.
Servings: 4 servings
- 2 large bunches kale (about 9 cups chopped)
- 1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Prepare the kale: Remove the stems from the kale. I use a knife, but you can also use your hands. Finely chop the kale leaves. Wash the kale and then spin it dry, using a salad spinner.
Make the dressing: In a small jar with a lid, combine all the dressing ingredients. Put the lid on, and shake until combined. You could also whisk the ingredients in a small bowl.
Massage the salad: Add the washed, chopped kale to a large bowl. Pour the dressing on top and gently massage it into the kale. The leaves will turn a darker green and soften slightly. Stop when the volume of greens is reduced by about half.
Make the Pecan Parmesan: Add the pecans, nutritional yeast and salt to a food processor. Pulse until it's a coarse crumb texture, withe some pecan pieces left. You don't want it to be a fine powder; you want some texture left. It won't take long.
Put the salad together: Sprinkle the pecan parmesan over the massaged greens, and then add the dried cranberries. Serve and enjoy!
This salad will save for about 1 day in the refrigerator, but not longer than that. It's best the day you make it! It will serve 4-6 as a small side salad, and 2 as a main dish salad. Double if needed for large get togethers or holidays.
- I prefer to use lacinato/dinosaur kale, but other varieties will work. The smaller you chop the kale, the better!
- Other good additions to this salad: chopped apples, chickpeas and/or sliced red onions.
- If you make the salad ahead of time, store it covered in refrigerator. For best results, keep the pecan parmesan and cranberries separate until ready to serve.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 341kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 524mg | Potassium: 960mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 15074IU | Vitamin C: 190mg | Calcium: 257mg | Iron: 3mg