Spanish Rice and Beans
This recipe for Spanish Rice And Beans is ready in under an hour! Loaded with flavor, it’s guaranteed to bring excitement to family dinners or weekly lunches.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 medium white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 2 cups long grain brown rice
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups salsa, tomato based
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 15 ounce can black beans OR kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- salt, to taste
- fresh chopped cilantro, for serving, optional
In a large pot, sauté the diced onion in the oil for 3-4 minutes over medium heat, then add rice, broth, salsa, cumin and paprika. Stir, then bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for about 40 minutes until the rice is cooked.
Once the rice is cooked, stir in the drained/rinsed beans. Add more salt to taste. Let it sit for at least 10 minutes before serving. Sprinkle with cilantro, if desired and serve.
- May use white long grain rice if preferred. Simply cook the rice for 15-20 minutes instead of 40.
- Instant Pot Version: Sauté the onion in IP, then add the rest (except the beans) and stir. Cook at high pressure for 24 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally, then stir in the beans and add more salt to taste.
- May serve with chopped green onions instead of cilantro if desired.
- For more heat, add in 1-2 diced jalapeños with the onion or a sprinkle of chili flakes. For acidity, finish the dish with 1-2 tablespoons fresh lime juice. For substance, add a diced red bell pepper with the onion, and stir green olives into the finished dish.
- Leftover rice and beans will keep in the refrigerator for 3 days or so, and make a perfect meal prep for quick lunches.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 373kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 934mg | Potassium: 601mg | Fiber: 10g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 726IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 58mg | Iron: 3mg