Crispy Baked Orange Tofu
Servings: 5 large servings
This Crispy Baked Orange Tofu is reminiscent of the popular Chinese dish. A sticky, sweet orange sauce is paired with the most amazing crispy BAKED tofu!
Make the Crispy Baked Tofu:
Press the tofu by wrapping in paper towels (or a clean dry tea towel). Place a plate or pan on top of the wrapped tofu, and put a couple of heavy books on top of that. Let the tofu press for at least 30 minutes if possible and up to an hour.
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or spray with oil.
Slice the tofu into 1 inch cubes and add them to a large ziplock bag, along with the olive oil (or soy sauce) and cornstarch. Close the bag, and shake gently to coat the tofu pieces.
Arrange the tofu evenly on the prepared pan, and bake for 15 minutes. Flip and bake for 15 more minutes, until the tofu pieces are crispy and lightly golden brown. Remove from oven.
Make the Orange Sauce:
In a large pan (large enough to fit the tofu and sauce), add all sauce ingredients except the cornstarch and water. Bring to a boil, and cook for a minute or two. Mix the cornstarch and water in a small bowl to combine, and then add to the pot. Stir over medium-high heat constantly for a couple of minutes, until the sauce thickens.
Now add the baked tofu to the pan and stir to coat the tofu in the sauce. Remove from heat.
Serve over brown or white rice. Sprinkle with green onions and/or sesame seeds. Add a side of steamed broccoli or cauliflower if desired.
- Gluten Free: Make sure to use gluten free tamari, not soy sauce.
- Tofu Free: Try using cauliflower instead (roasted, just like the tofu!)
- Adjust the sweetness: If you don't like too much sweetness, add less sugar or other sweetener of choice. Start with a few tablespoons, and taste until it's to your liking.
- This recipe makes enough for 5 people. It does make great leftovers, but feel free to halve the recipe if desired.
- Fry instead of bake: If you prefer, you can pan fry the tofu. Simply toss tofu cubes with cornstarch, and fry in a thin layer of oil.
Serving: 1serving, Calories: 278kcal, Carbohydrates: 35g, Protein: 18g, Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 1g, Sodium: 1070mg, Potassium: 104mg, Fiber: 2g, Sugar: 23g, Vitamin A: 150IU, Vitamin C: 14mg, Calcium: 223mg, Iron: 3mg