1 Hour Vegan Cinnamon Rolls
Super soft and delicious vegan cinnamon rolls can be made in 1 hour! Loaded with cinnamon sugar gooey goodness and topped with heavenly vegan cream cheese frosting. You won't believe how big and fluffy they are!
Prep Time 40 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 12 rolls
FOR THE FILLING
- 6 tablespoons softened vegan butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground cinnamon
CREAM CHEESE ICING
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese | I like Trader Joe's or Kite Hill
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
MAKE THE DOUGH
Warm the soy milk in the microwave for 1 minute and 30 seconds. Make sure it is warm, like bathwater, not too hot or it will kill the yeast.
In a large bowl, add the warm soy milk, sugar and yeast. Let it sit for 5 minutes. The yeast should get a bit foamy on top.
To the yeast mixture, add the melted vegan butter, salt and 4 1/2 cups of flour. Stir with a large spoon until the mixture comes together. Add additional flour, 1/3 cup at a time, as needed until the mixtures pulls away from the sides of the bowl. It should still be soft and slightly sticky.
Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 3-4 minutes, until you have a fairly smooth ball of dough. Place the dough back in the bowl, cover with a towel and let it rise in a warm place for 20 minutes. Here's what I do: Turn the oven to 170 degrees F. Once heated, turn it off, place the covered bowl inside the oven, and leave the oven door cracked.
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
ASSEMBLE THE CINNAMON ROLLS
Sprinkle a clean counter or pastry mat with flour. Punch the dough down, and use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a large rectangle, about 1/2 inch thick. Sprinkle more flour on top while rolling to prevent sticking.
Spread the 6 tablespoons softened vegan butter over the rolled dough, leaving an inch around the edges. Sprinkle the brown sugar, then the cinnamon on top of the butter.
Starting with the long end closest to you, roll the dough into a tight log. Place seam side down. Using a serrated knife, cut off the two ends. Then slice into 12 rolls. Place the rolls in a 9 by 13 inch casserole dish, or (2) 9-inch pie pans.
Bake for 20-30 minutes, until the rolls are lightly golden brown and the centers are cooked through.
While the rolls are baking, make the icing. In a medium bowl, add the vegan cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla. Using a hand mixer (or stand mixer), beat until smooth and creamy.
If you would rather have a simple icing, whisk together 1 cup powdered sugar, 2 tablespoons soy milk and 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, until smooth and creamy.
Allow the rolls to cool for 10 minutes before drizzling with the icing. Serve and enjoy!
- May substitute cashew or almond milk for the soy milk if needed. Try to use a creamy milk because this makes the dough richer.
- You may substitute coconut oil for the vegan butter if needed, but I prefer the taste of the vegan butter here.
- FOR OVERNIGHT PREP: Follow the instructions until you have cut, uncooked cinnamon rolls in the baking dish. At this point, cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, remove from the refrigerator and allow to sit for an hour. Then, simply preheat the oven to 375 degrees and bake for 20-30 minutes until done.