The Best Vegan Macaroni Salad
Hands down the best Vegan Macaroni Salad, made with all the classic ingredients and tossed in a super creamy sauce! Perfect for bringing to summer BBQ's/potlucks. Oil free.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 8 ounces macaroni noodles
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 1/2 medium red bell pepper, minced
- 1/4 small red onion, minced (1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet pickles (or sweet pickle relish)
- 1/4 cup minced fresh dill
Soak the cashews: Heat up about 2 cups of water in a tea kettle or small pot. Pour the boiling hot water over the cashews and let them soak while you prepare the noodles.
Prepare the macaroni noodles according to package instructions, then immediately rinse well with cold water. Add the drained noodles to a large bowl.
Finely chop the celery, red bell pepper, red onion, dill, sweet pickles and add them all to the bowl with the noodles.
Make the dressing: Drain the soaked cashews, and then add them to a high powered blender along with the 3/4 cup fresh water, apple cider vinegar, sweet pickle juice, sugar, mustard and salt. Blend on high until very smooth.
Pour the dressing over your macaroni salad ingredients and toss until everything is well coated. Cover and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes if you can to allow the flavors to meld together. The sauce thickens up in the refrigerator, so simply add a little water and mix until it thins out a bit.
- I used white macaroni noodles, but you can make this gluten free if needed by using gluten free pasta. Bean based pasta would also work.
- Feel free to leave out any vegetables you don't like, such as the celery, red onion or red bell pepper.
- If you want, you can also use 1 cup of store bought vegan mayonnaise instead of the cashew based dressing. To do this, add 1 cup of vegan mayo to a mixing bowl, along with the vinegar, pickle juice, sugar, mustard and salt. Whisk well, then add to the salad.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 280kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 358mg | Potassium: 253mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 359IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 20mg | Iron: 2mg