This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
My go-to recipe for vegan mayo that is ultra creamy and thick with the right amount of tang. Perfect anywhere you would typically use mayo. It’s really easy to make, too!
With just 5 ingredients, 5 minutes and a blender, you will have healthy vegan mayo ready for the week. Let me show you how!
How to make vegan mayo with cashews:
The most important thing you need is a high powered, quality blender, such as a Vitamix. I’ve said it before, but if there is one thing I couldn’t live without it’s my Vitamix! It’s so powerful it can turn raw cashews and other nuts into creamy sauces/cheeses/soups with absolutely no dairy. Don’t try to make this mayo in a regular blender or food processor; it will be grainy instead of smooth.
Allergic to cashews? Try my tofu mayo instead.
On to the recipe. First, soak your raw cashews (cashew pieces are fine, and often a little cheaper). I place the cashews (1 1/2 cups) in a 2-cup measuring dish, then heat water in my tea kettle and pour it over them once boiling. Let them soak for about 5 minutes, longer is just fine if you forget about them for awhile!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Now, drain the soaked cashews and discard the water. Add them to a blender, along with the 3 tablespoons lemon juice, 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar, 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 cup water.
Blend on high until very smooth and creamy. Scrape the sides down once or twice if needed.
How to thicken vegan mayo:
This mayo will thicken up quite a bit as it chills in the refrigerator, making it perfect for spreading on sandwiches. So all you have to do is pour the mayo from the blender to a covered container (glass preferred) and let it sit in the refrigerator overnight. You will have a much thicker consistency then.
A covered glass container is best for flavor and I find it helps it save longer. Mason jars work well, or I love these glass meal prep containers. I use them for everything!
Recipes that go well with vegan mayo:
- Classic Vegan Potato Salad
- The Best and Easiest Chickpea Tuna Sandwiches
- Classic Vegan Coleslaw
- Vegan BLT Sandwiches
- Best Veggie Burgers
- Soak the raw cashew pieces in hot water for 5-10 minutes. I heat up water in my electric kettle and pour it over the cashews to soak.
- Drain the cashews, discard the water and add them to a high powered blender. Now add the lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, salt and 3/4 cup fresh water. Blend until very smooth.
- Store in a covered container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week. It will thicken as it cools, making it better for spreading on sandwiches.
- If you are allergic to cashews, I would suggest using this recipe for Tofu Mayo instead.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here