Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
This Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup is just like the classic soup you grew up eating. Cozy, comforting and it tastes incredible!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 10 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 8 cups vegan "chicken" broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups vegan "chicken" pieces, chopped small*
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces small shaped pasta*
- salt + pepper, to taste
- fresh chopped parsley, for serving
- crackers or french bread, for serving
Add the olive oil to a large pot and warm over medium-high heat. Now add the onion, garlic and celery and saute for 5 minutes, until softened and the onions are translucent.
Add the carrots, broth, chopped vegan chicken pieces, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
While the soup simmers, cook the pasta in a separate pot according to package instructions but 1 minute less than called for. You don't want to overcook the noodles. Drain and set aside.
Taste the soup and make any necessary seasoning adjustments, such as more herbs, salt + pepper.
Serve the soup in bowls with a handful of cooked noodles. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired and serve with crackers or bread. Keep the pasta noodles separate when storing so they don't get mushy and soak up all the broth.
- I used this Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base for my broth and I highly recommend it for this soup. But plain vegetable broth will work as well.
- For the vegan "chicken" pieces, I like to use Tofurky's Plant Based Chik'n. You can find it in the refrigerated section. Feel free to use another vegan chicken, frozen or otherwise, OR substitute seitan pieces or even chickpeas!
- For the pasta, I used Trader Joe's Gigli noodles, they are such a fun shape. You can apparently find egg free egg noodles at Wal Mart, or use your favorite pasta. Whole grain or gluten free is fine to use.
- Instant Pot: Use the saute button and cook the onion, garlic and celery for a few minutes before adding the carrots, broth, "chicken" and herbs. Put on the lid, lock and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Release the pressure carefully, then add to bowls with cooked noodles.
- Storing the soup: Keep the soup in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, but store the cooked pasta separately. If not, the noodles will soak up the broth and you won't have soup anymore!
- Freeze it: The soup can be frozen without the pasta. Cool completely first, then store in a freezer safe container. When ready to serve, place in the refrigerator overnight, then warm in a pot and cook your noodles.
Calories: 208kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 902mg | Potassium: 192mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 3512IU | Vitamin C: 3mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg