Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup takes just 30 minutes to make and is just like the classic soup you grew up eating. Cozy, comforting and it tastes incredible!
This Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup is so wonderful to make when it’s cold outside. It’s warming, comforting and reminds me of my childhood.
It has all the comforting qualities of the classic soup we grew up eating, without any animal products!
I know some people think it’s strange to want to re-create familiar meat/dairy/egg dishes with vegan ones, but I don’t agree with that.
Food is cultural, and we tend to enjoy foods we are familiar with and grew up eating. If copycat recipes like this one help people eat less animals, then I am all for it!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
- Normal stuff: Onions, garlic, celery, carrots, dried basil and thyme.
- Broth: I used Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base, which I highly recommend! Vegetable broth works as well.
- Vegan “Chicken”: My local store carries Tofurky Chik’n in the refrigerated section, and I really like the texture and flavor of it. I often use it for my Vegan Pot Pie as well. But use any vegan “chicken” you like, seitan or even chickpeas!
- Pasta: I used Trader Joe’s Gigli Pasta (I used them in my Mushroom Stroganoff, too!), which are such a fun shape. Use any eggless pasta you’d like, gluten free or whole grain works too.
How to make Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
Start by sautéing the onion, garlic and celery in a large pot for about 5 minutes.
Now add the carrots, broth, “chicken” and herbs. Stir and bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, cook the noodles according to the package instructions, but 1 minute less. Drain and set aside. It’s important to keep the noodles separate from the soup except when serving, because they will soak up the broth and get very mushy.
Serve the soup in bowls with a handful of noodles added. (For photo purposes, I added all the noodles to the pot, but I don’t recommend this unless you are going to serve it all at once.)
Instant Pot Version
You can make this soup in an Instant Pot as well. Simply use the saute button and cook the onions, garlic and celery for 5 minutes.
Then add the rest of the ingredients EXCEPT the pasta, place the lid on, lock and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Release the pressure carefully, then stir and serve in bowls with cooked pasta.
How to store Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- Refrigerator: Store soup and pasta separately in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
- Freezer: Let the soup cool completely, then place in a freezer safe container without the pasta, and freeze. When ready to serve, move the container to the refrigerator overnight, then warm in a pot and add noodles to bowls with the soup.
Want more Vegan Soup Recipes?
- Everyday Vegan Lentil Soup
- Easy Vegan Potato Soup
- Vegan Broccoli Cheese Soup
- Super Creamy Cauliflower Kale Soup
- Black Bean Soup
Vegan Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 8 cups vegan "chicken" broth, or vegetable broth
- 2 cups vegan "chicken" pieces, chopped small*
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 12 ounces small shaped pasta*
- salt + pepper, to taste
- fresh chopped parsley, for serving
- crackers or french bread, for serving
- Add the olive oil to a large pot and warm over medium-high heat. Now add the onion, garlic and celery and saute for 5 minutes, until softened and the onions are translucent.
- Add the carrots, broth, chopped vegan chicken pieces, basil and thyme. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- While the soup simmers, cook the pasta in a separate pot according to package instructions but 1 minute less than called for. You don't want to overcook the noodles. Drain and set aside.
- Taste the soup and make any necessary seasoning adjustments, such as more herbs, salt + pepper.
- Serve the soup in bowls with a handful of cooked noodles. Sprinkle with fresh parsley if desired and serve with crackers or bread. Keep the pasta noodles separate when storing so they don't get mushy and soak up all the broth.
- I used this Better Than Bouillon No Chicken Base for my broth and I highly recommend it for this soup. But plain vegetable broth will work as well.
- For the vegan "chicken" pieces, I like to use Tofurky's Plant Based Chik'n. You can find it in the refrigerated section. Feel free to use another vegan chicken, frozen or otherwise, OR substitute seitan pieces or even chickpeas!
- For the pasta, I used Trader Joe's Gigli noodles, they are such a fun shape. You can apparently find egg free egg noodles at Wal Mart, or use your favorite pasta. Whole grain or gluten free is fine to use.
- Instant Pot: Use the saute button and cook the onion, garlic and celery for a few minutes before adding the carrots, broth, "chicken" and herbs. Put on the lid, lock and cook at high pressure for 5 minutes. Release the pressure carefully, then add to bowls with cooked noodles.
- Storing the soup: Keep the soup in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days, but store the cooked pasta separately. If not, the noodles will soak up the broth and you won't have soup anymore!
- Freeze it: The soup can be frozen without the pasta. Cool completely first, then store in a freezer safe container. When ready to serve, place in the refrigerator overnight, then warm in a pot and cook your noodles.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here