Vegan Egg Salad Sandwich
Thanks to a few tricks and tips, this is the best Vegan Egg Salad ever! It makes the perfect sandwich on sourdough bread with butter lettuce, and is full of plant protein.
Prep Time 30 minutes
Chilling time 30 minutes
Total Time 1 hour
Servings 6 servings
- 1 block firm tofu (16 oz)
- 1/4 cup Vegan Mayo | homemade or store bought
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
- 2 teaspoons sweet relish
- 1/8 teaspoon smoked paprika
- tiny pinch turmeric optional, for color
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste | use black salt for a more eggy, sulfur flavor
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 green onion, white and light green parts, thinly sliced (2 tablespoons)
- loaf of bread, butter lettuce for serving
Press the tofu: Wrap the block of tofu in paper towels or a clean tea towel. Place something heavy on top of it, like a cast iron pan, and let it sit for 20 minutes.
Make the dressing: While the tofu presses, whisk together the vegan mayo (1/4 c), yellow mustard (1 tsp), dill pickle juice (1 1/2 tbs), sweet relish (2 tsp), smoked paprika (1/8 tsp), turmeric (tiny pinch), salt (1/2 tsp) and black pepper (1/4 tsp).
Slice the tofu: Once the tofu is pressed, slice the block into thin strips, then slice thinly the other way. Chop into even smaller pieces. (SEE PHOTOS ABOVE FOR REFERENCE)
Add the tofu to the bowl with the creamy dressing, along with the sliced green onions. Stir well. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes if possible before eating, to let the flavors meld together. Serve on sourdough, or other bread (gluten free if needed) with butter lettuce. Enjoy!
- I suggest using my Vegan Mayo, but you can use store bought vegan mayo such as Just brand or Veganaise.
- You can use black salt for an eggy, sulfur flavor. I personally don't like it so I use regular salt. Either is fine!
- Calories listed are for 1/6th of the egg salad, using my vegan mayo recipe.
- Store leftovers in a covered container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days. Great meal prep idea!
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 128kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 329mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 61IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 94mg | Iron: 1mg