10 Minute Skillet BBQ Tempeh
This tasty BBQ Tempeh is ready to eat in just 10 minutes! Serve it with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts, with rice or in a sandwich.
Servings: 5 servings
- 2 (8-oz) packages tempeh
- 1 cup water
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 18 oz barbecue sauce *I used Trader Joe's Kansas City Style
Remove the tempeh from packaging and cut into cubes.
Place in a large skillet and add about 1 cup of water, so the tempeh is about half covered. Cover and cook on high heat, steaming the tempeh for about 5 minutes until nearly all of the water has evaporated. Watch closely so it doesn't burn. Steaming the tempeh takes away any bitter flavors.
Once the water is nearly evaporated, turn the heat down to medium add 2-3 tablespoons of olive oil. Fry the tempeh in the oil for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until golden.
Now add the entire jar of barbecue sauce and stir to coat. If the tempeh sticks to the pan, use a quality spatula to carefully scrape the pieces off the bottom.
Serve immediately with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts, rice, or in a sandwich or wrap. Enjoy!
- This recipe serves my family of 5 if we have it with rice or mashed potatoes and a vegetable. We usually even have leftovers.
- BBQ tempeh is great for meal prep, it will stay good in the refrigerator for 3-4 days and reheats well.
- For oil free, simply skip the frying in oil part, and add the bbq sauce straight after steaming the tempeh.
Calories: 400kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 1059mg | Potassium: 611mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 34g | Vitamin A: 229IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 134mg | Iron: 3mg