Instant Pot Vegan Mashed Potatoes, with a stovetop option! These potatoes are SO creamy and fluffy without any butter, milk or even vegan butter. 25 minutes from start to finish!
I love using my Instant Pot! It’s turning out to be my most beloved kitchen appliance, right up there with my Vitamix high powered blender. Both of which are very helpful for these delicious, creamy, fluffy mashed potatoes!
How do you make mashed potatoes without butter or milk?
There are a couple of tricks to this recipe that make delightful mashed potatoes without any butter, milk or even vegan butter.
- Russet potatoes- I think these give you the fluffiest and smoothest mashed potatoes.
- Cashew cream– This simple blend of cashews and water make mashed potatoes dreamy creamy and add a certain richness without any weird flavors often present in store bought non-dairy milks.
How to make mashed potatoes in an Instant Pot?
It’s so easy and quick people! Peel and chop your potatoes. Add them to the Instant Pot, cover with water and 1 teaspoon salt. Seal, and cook on high for 10 minutes.
Drain the potatoes, make your quick cashew cream, mash and mix! Add salt to taste, and any additional ad-ins like roasted minced garlic. That’s it!
*If you don’t have an Instant Pot, see my instructions below for stovetop instructions.
Instant Pot Vegan Mashed Potatoes
- 7 russet potatoes (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 3/4 cup water
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- Optional: roasted or sauteed garlic, minced and/or chopped chives.
- Cook the Potatoes: Peel and chop the potatoes into large chunks. Add them to the Instant Pot and cover with water. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Seal and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes. Do a quick release and drain.
- Make the Cashew Cream: Cover the cashews with boiling hot water for 5 minutes to soften, then drain and add to a high powered blender with 3/4 cup water. Blend for a few minutes, until very smooth.
- Mash and Finish: Put the drained potatoes back in the Instant Pot (or a bowl). Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes. Drizzle in the cashew cream and season with salt, to taste. Continue to mash and mix until creamy and fluffy.
- Optional: Add in some minced, sauteed or roasted garlic and stir in at the end. Sprinkle the potatoes with chives when serving, if desired. Serve with Vegan Gravy.
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR STOVETOP: To make these potatoes on the stovetop, peel and chop the potatoes as usual and add them to a large pot. Cover with water, add 1 teaspoon of salt, bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes, until fork tender. Drain, then follow the rest of the instructions.