BBQ Tempeh Sandwich
A healthy, 15 minute BBQ Tempeh Sandwich that will please any meat eater! This smoky, saucy sandwich is also chock full of protein and will satisfy a hungry appetite. Perfect on buns with vegan coleslaw.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 15 minutes
Servings 4 sandwiches
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 cups barbecue sauce | homemade or store bought
- 4 buns or rolls
- 1 recipe vegan coleslaw | optional, for serving
Crumble the tempeh into a large skillet, then add 1/4 cup water, chopped green peppers and onions. Cook over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes, until the water is mostly gone.
Add 1-2 cups of barbecue sauce to the skillet, stir and cook for 5 more minutes. How much sauce you add depends on how saucy you want your sandwiches to be.
Serve on buns or rolls with vegan coleslaw, if desired. Pickles taste really good on this sandwich, too. Enjoy!
- Calories are an estimate only for 1/4th of the bbq tempeh mixture, and does not include the bun or coleslaw.
- Serve bbq tempeh in corn or flour tortillas for bbq tempeh tacos, if desired, instead of buns.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 132kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 735mg | Potassium: 212mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 215IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 1mg