BBQ Tempeh Sandwich
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
A healthy, 15 minute BBQ Tempeh Sandwich that will please any meat eater! This smoky, saucy sandwich is also chock full of protein and will satisfy a hungry appetite. Perfect on buns with vegan coleslaw.
This sandwich has become a staple in my home. It’s one of a handful of meals I keep in my pocket for busy weeknights that are filled with soccer practices and chasing around a 3 year old. Dinner is ready in 15 minutes flat (for real), and everyone is happy!
The flavor of this EASY BBQ Tempeh Sandwich will depend heavily on what kind of barbecue sauce you use, so make sure to use something you like. I love Trader Joe’s barbecue sauces, but sometimes I make my own: Quick and Easy Vegan Barbecue Sauce.
How do you make BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches?
It’s so simple! Crumble the tempeh into a skillet, then add 1/4 cup water, 1/2 a chopped, seeded green bell pepper and 1/2 an onion, chopped. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, until the water is about gone. Then add a cup or two or barbecue sauce and cook for another 5 minutes until warm. That’s it!
Serve with pickles, vegan coleslaw and buns or rolls. The recipe makes about four sandwiches, so I usually double it for my family of five.
The BBQ Tempeh mixture is also super yummy in corn tortillas for bbq tempeh tacos, or served open face on sprouted bread. I hope you enjoy these sandwiches as much as my family does!
Want more quick and easy vegan dinner ideas?
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Thai Peanut Noodles
- Peanut Tofu with Coconut Rice
- Cheesy Vegan Quesadillas
Plus, check out this article: 45 Easy Vegan Recipes (30 Minutes or Less)
BBQ Tempeh Sandwich
- Crumble the tempeh into a large skillet, then add 1/4 cup water, chopped green peppers and onions. Cook over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes, until the water is mostly gone.
- Add 1-2 cups of barbecue sauce to the skillet, stir and cook for 5 more minutes. How much sauce you add depends on how saucy you want your sandwiches to be.
- Serve on buns or rolls with vegan coleslaw, if desired. Pickles taste really good on this sandwich, too. Enjoy!
- Calories are an estimate only for 1/4th of the bbq tempeh mixture, and does not include the bun or coleslaw.
- Serve bbq tempeh in corn or flour tortillas for bbq tempeh tacos, if desired, instead of buns.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here