A healthy, 15 minute BBQ Tempeh Sandwich that will please any meat eater! This smoky, saucy sandwich is also chock full of protein and will satisfy a hungry appetite. Perfect on buns with vegan coleslaw.
This sandwich has become a staple in my home. It’s one of a handful of meals I keep in my pocket for busy weeknights that are filled with soccer practices and chasing around a 3 year old. Dinner is ready in 15 minutes flat (for real), and everyone is happy!
The flavor of this EASY BBQ Tempeh Sandwich will depend heavily on what kind of barbecue sauce you use, so make sure to use something you like. I love Trader Joe’s barbecue sauces, but sometimes I make my own: Quick and Easy Vegan Barbecue Sauce.
How do you make BBQ Tempeh Sandwiches?
It’s so simple! Crumble the tempeh into a skillet, then add 1/4 cup water, 1/2 a chopped, seeded green bell pepper and 1/2 an onion, chopped. Cook for about 5-10 minutes, until the water is about gone. Then add a cup or two or barbecue sauce and cook for another 5 minutes until warm. That’s it!
Serve with pickles, vegan coleslaw and buns or rolls. The recipe makes about four sandwiches, so I usually double it for my family of five.
The BBQ Tempeh mixture is also super yummy in corn tortillas for bbq tempeh tacos, or served open face on sprouted bread. I hope you enjoy these sandwiches as much as my family does!
Want more quick and easy vegan dinner ideas?
- The Best Vegan Mac and Cheese
- Thai Peanut Noodles
- Peanut Tofu with Coconut Rice
- Cheesy Vegan Quesadillas
Plus, check out this article: 45 Easy Vegan Recipes (30 Minutes or Less)
BBQ Tempeh Sandwich
- 1 (8-ounce) package tempeh
- 1/2 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1-2 cups barbecue sauce | homemade or store bought
- 4 buns or rolls
- 1 recipe vegan coleslaw | optional, for serving
- Crumble the tempeh into a large skillet, then add 1/4 cup water, chopped green peppers and onions. Cook over medium-high heat for 5-10 minutes, until the water is mostly gone.
- Add 1-2 cups of barbecue sauce to the skillet, stir and cook for 5 more minutes. How much sauce you add depends on how saucy you want your sandwiches to be.
- Serve on buns or rolls with vegan coleslaw, if desired. Pickles taste really good on this sandwich, too. Enjoy!
- Calories are an estimate only for 1/4th of the bbq tempeh mixture, and does not include the bun or coleslaw.
- Serve bbq tempeh in corn or flour tortillas for bbq tempeh tacos, if desired, instead of buns.
Excellent! The texture of the tempeh being cooked this way is great, and the coleslaw is perfect with it.
Thank you, Dallin! I”m glad you love it! Thank you for sharing!
Seriously so good!!! I’ve been wanting to cook with tempeh for a while now and this was so good! It tastes amazing no after-taste or any nasty smell like the fermented smell that it comes with in the package. 2 thumbs up!
Thanks so much! So glad you liked it!
Minimum work and maximum taste!!! I couldn’t believe how easy these were. I needed a lazy Sunday meal and these were perfect! So good!!!
Super easy took ten minutes to make and my family of carnivores enjoyed it! We had it on Hawaiian rolls and I added shredded carrots to the onion and peppers. Thank you! I have been wanting to make more with tempeh!
You’re so welcome! I’m glad everyone enjoyed!
So easy to make and so delicious!! Will be a staple in our house. Thanks!