Easy Vegan Curry
Easy Vegan Curry comes together in less than 30 minutes, including prep time! Fresh vegetables, sweet potatoes and curry spices are simmered in coconut milk. Totally customizable: Switch things up by using a variety of vegetables you have on hand, or adding chickpeas or tofu.
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 5 servings
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2-3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
Start the rice cooking: In a medium sized pot, add the 1 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then pour in the rice. Simmer for 18 minutes, then remove from heat.
Once the rice is cooking, prepare your vegetables: Chop the onion, mince the garlic, grate the ginger, peel and dice the sweet potato small, chop the cauliflower/broccoli, peel and slice the carrots and dice/slice the red pepper.
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Now add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 more minute. Add the curry powder and saute 1-2 minutes more, until fragrant. To the pot, add the sweet potato, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and red pepper. Pour in the coconut milk, red curry paste (if using) and enough water to just nearly cover the vegetables. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and stir it all together. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes, until the sweet potato and other vegetables are tender. Now stir in the maple syrup, lime juice and the spinach until it wilts. Taste; season with more salt if desired. Serve hot with rice, fresh cilantro, hot sauce and maybe Easy Vegan Naan.
- This curry freezes quite well. I like to freeze leftovers in individual containers for easy future lunches.
- Use any vegetables you have on hand, just keep the overall amounts basically the same.
- Add some chickpeas or tofu if desired for extra protein!
- May sub brown rice, but it will take longer to cook (40 minutes).
- Calorie calculation is for curry only, it does not include rice.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 459kcal | Carbohydrates: 57g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Sodium: 556mg | Potassium: 883mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 10358IU | Vitamin C: 97mg | Calcium: 113mg | Iron: 4mg