Air Fryer Tofu – Crispy & Flavorful!
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Super crispy and flavorful, this Air Fryer Tofu is worth getting an air fryer for! The tofu pieces get incredibly crispy as if they were deep fried, with just a smidge of oil. No more tofu sticking to an oily pan!
The air fryer is one of the most used appliances in our kitchen, maybe even more than our trusty Vitamix blender!
The other food we use our air fryer for? TOFU! Mostly because it makes delicious, crispy and flavorful tofu with no fuss.
No more tofu sticking to an oily pan, or carefully flipping over every piece on a baking sheet. With the air fryer, you simply shake it here and there. It seriously couldn’t be easier!
How to press tofu fast
You can always use a tofu press if you have one, which lets you press a block of tofu in under 15 minutes. But if you don’t have a press, this is the next fastest way to do it.
To press it very quickly, remove the tofu from the water pack and cut into cubes. Place the cubed tofu on a flat surface like a cutting board, lined with paper towels (or a clean tea towel.)
Cover with more paper towels, a baking sheet, and then place something heavy on top like a cast iron skillet. This way, you only need to let it press for about 15 minutes while you make the marinade.
Want to avoid pressing tofu altogether? Buy the super-firm tofu in a vacuum pack, and there is no need to press.
How to make air fryer tofu
While the tofu is pressing, whisk your simple marinade ingredients in a bowl.
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce (or use tamari for gluten free)
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
That’s it. There really is no need to add cornstarch here, but if you wanted to, you could (add a tablespoon of cornstarch for extra crispiness, if desired.) The tofu gets plenty crispy in my opinion without it. Toss the tofu cubes with the marinade to coat, and let them sit for about 15 minutes, or longer.
After 15 minutes, place the tofu cubes in your air fryer in a single layer, so they do not touch. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to do this in 2 batches.
Cook it at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally after 10 minutes. The tofu is done when it is golden, even a little blackened in places but not burnt. The pieces should be nice and crispy!
What to serve with air fryer tofu
Or use it in a vegetable tofu stir fry! The possibilities are endless.
Do you love tofu as much as I do?
Try any one of these amazing recipes featuring tofu, one of my favorite foods in the world! Any one of these could be cooked in an air fryer.
- Cornflake Tofu (Vegan Chicken Nuggets)
- Marinated Tofu (the best tofu ever!)
- Crispy Sesame Tofu
- Orange Tofu – Vegan Orange Chicken!
- Vegan Butter Chicken (actually made with tofu)
Air Fryer Tofu - Crispy & Flavorful!
- Quick press the tofu: Cut the tofu into cubes. Place them evenly on a flat surface such as a cutting board lined with paper towels or a clean towel. Cover with a layer of paper towels, set a baking sheet on top and then something heavy, like a large book or cast iron skillet. Press like this for 15 minutes. Or use a tofu press.
- In a small bowl, stir together the soy sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil.
- Add the pressed tofu cubes to a bowl and drizzle the marinade over them. Toss gently to coat the pieces. Let the tofu marinate for about 15 minutes, longer if desired (up to 8 hours in the refrigerator.)
- Place the tofu cubes in the air fryer, in a single layer, so the pieces don't touch. Depending on the size of your air fryer, you may need to cook half the tofu at a time. Cook at 400 degrees F for 10-15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally after 10 minutes. Cook until the tofu is golden and crispy, but not burned.
- Gluten free? Use tamari instead of soy sauce.
- May use olive oil instead of sesame oil, but I love the flavor sesame oil adds. For oil free, you may omit it but it may not get as crispy.
- May add a tablespoon of cornstarch to the marinade if desired for a little extra crispiness.
- If you have leftover tofu, simply re-heat in the air fryer for 5 minutes to re-crisp!
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here