Easy Vegan Curry
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Easy Vegan Curry comes together in less than 30 minutes, including prep time! Fresh vegetables, sweet potatoes and curry spices are simmered in coconut milk. Totally customizable: Switch things up by using a variety of vegetables you have on hand, or adding chickpeas or tofu.
Today I’m sharing an everyday, easy, simple recipe for vegan curry that is totally customizable and versatile. A great meal for using up vegetables that would otherwise go to waste in your refrigerator. I’ve broken it down into easy, do-able steps that will have dinner on the table in 30 minutes, including prep time!
Here’s why your going to love this vegan curry as much as I do! It’s:
- Full of vegetables, simmered in a delicious coconut creamy curry sauce.
- Got a very short list of spices (curry powder + optional red curry paste)
- VERSATILE – use veggies/potatoes/chickpeas/tofu or whatever you have
- Ready in less than 30 minutes!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
How to make Easy Vegan Curry:
First, start your rice cooking. I used white rice here, to keep the time under 30 minutes. You can use brown rice, but it takes closer to 40 minutes to cook.
Once the rice is cooking, prep all your vegetables/potatoes.
TIP: Make it even easier by purchasing minced garlic, grated ginger in a tube, and pre-chopped broccoli and cauliflower.
Heat the oil in a large pot/pan, then add the onion. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then add the garlic and ginger. Cook 1 minute more, then add the curry powder and stir.
Now add all the vegetables (except the spinach and cilantro), then pour the coconut milk on top. Add the red curry paste (if using), salt and enough water to just nearly cover the vegetables. Mix it all together well. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes.
Once the vegetables are tender, stir in the maple syrup, lime juice and the spinach until it wilts. Season with more salt to taste, if needed, and serve with fresh cilantro, cooked rice, hot sauce and maybe Easy Vegan Naan.
Make it your own!
- Other vegetables to use: frozen peas, brussels sprouts, asparagus, kale, zucchini, bok choy, white potatoes, cabbage, mushrooms, tomatoes…. The possibilities are endless. Just keep the overall amounts basically the same.
- Add chickpeas or tofu for extra protein!
- Use light coconut milk to make it lighter, or coconut cream for a richer sauce.
- Serve with brown rice instead of white, or quinoa.
- Spice it up with cayenne, or spicy curry powder.
If you enjoyed this Easy Vegan Curry, you might love these recipes:
Easy Vegan Curry
- 1 cup white rice, uncooked
- 1 3/4 cups water
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2-3 cups cauliflower florets
- 2-3 cups broccoli florets
- 2 medium sized carrots
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- (1) 15-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 tablespoon Thai red curry paste, ,optional but good
- 1-2 cups water, as needed to nearly cover the vegetables
- 1 teaspoon salt, or more to taste
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 lime, juice squeezed
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- fresh chopped cilantro, optional
- Start the rice cooking: In a medium sized pot, add the 1 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil, then pour in the rice. Simmer for 18 minutes, then remove from heat.
- Once the rice is cooking, prepare your vegetables: Chop the onion, mince the garlic, grate the ginger, peel and dice the sweet potato small, chop the cauliflower/broccoli, peel and slice the carrots and dice/slice the red pepper.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 2-3 minutes. Now add the garlic and ginger, and cook for 1 more minute. Add the curry powder and saute 1-2 minutes more, until fragrant.
- To the pot, add the sweet potato, cauliflower, broccoli, carrots and red pepper. Pour in the coconut milk, red curry paste (if using) and enough water to just nearly cover the vegetables. Add 1 teaspoon of salt and stir it all together. Bring to a boil, then simmer for about 10 minutes, until the sweet potato and other vegetables are tender.
- Now stir in the maple syrup, lime juice and the spinach until it wilts. Taste; season with more salt if desired. Serve hot with rice, fresh cilantro, hot sauce and maybe Easy Vegan Naan.
- This curry freezes quite well. I like to freeze leftovers in individual containers for easy future lunches.
- Use any vegetables you have on hand, just keep the overall amounts basically the same.
- Add some chickpeas or tofu if desired for extra protein!
- May sub brown rice, but it will take longer to cook (40 minutes).
- Calorie calculation is for curry only, it does not include rice.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here