You will LOVE these vegan lemon crinkle cookies, made from scratch in 1 bowl. They are bursting with lemon flavor and irresistibly soft and chewy!
Crinkle cookies are one of my favorite, and when you pair them with lemon I’m in heaven!
Lemon crinkle cookies are so soft and pillowy with perfect cracks. They’re bursting with sunshine lemon flavor and easy to make in 1 bowl. No dough chilling required!
How to make lemon crinkle cookies
Find the complete printable recipe with measurements below in the recipe card.
- First, preheat the oven and prepare your dough. Beat the softened vegan butter and sugar, then add the vanilla, lemon extract, zest and juice and optional yellow food dye. Add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda and salt and mix until just combined.
- Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls and roll generously in powdered sugar.
- Place on silicone or parchment lined baking pans and bake for 10-12 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let them cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Tips and Variations
- Pretty yellow cookies! For the prettiest cookies, add a few drops of quality yellow food coloring (I like gel) and roll very generously in powdered sugar before baking.
- Lime instead – For lime crinkle cookies, substitute fresh lime juice and zest, and add a few drops of green food coloring!
- Same day – Serve these cookies to company the same day you make them. They will stay yummy for 3-4 days, but the powdered sugar will begin to melt into the cookie, making them less pretty.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Can I make them gluten free? Yes, simply substitute a quality gluten free flour mix.
- Does the cookie dough need to be chilled? I don’t like waiting around for cookies if I don’t have to, and I found that there is no need to chill this cookie dough before baking!
- How long will the cookies last? They last 3-4 days at room temperature, or a few extra days in the refrigerator. Though they won’t be as pretty as the first day. Store in an airtight container.
More citrusy desserts to love
Lemon Crinkle Cookies
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 teaspoons fresh grated lemon zest
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 drops yellow food coloring optional
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar, for rolling
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two cookie sheets with silicone mats or parchment paper. Place the powdered sugar in a bowl for rolling the dough in.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer with the paddle attachment, or using a handheld mixer, beat the softened vegan butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add the vanilla, lemon extract, lemon zest, juice and optional yellow food coloring. Mix until combined, scraping the sides and bottom of the bowl as needed.
- Stop the mixer and add the flour, followed by the cornstarch, baking soda and salt. Turn the mixer on low speed and mix until just combined.
- Roll the dough into tablespoon sized balls, then roll generously in the powdered sugar to coat completely.
- Place on the prepared pans and bake for 10-12 minutes, until the edges are just set. Do not over bake, they will be very soft but firm up as they cool.
- Let them cool on the cookie sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Enjoy! These cookies are best served the same day as the powdered sugar will start to melt into the cookies. They still taste good for 3-4 days, but they won't be as pretty!
- If you don’t have lemon extract, you may leave it out but it adds extra lemon flavor.
- The food coloring is optional, it just makes them yellow instead of pale.
- For gluten free, substitute an all purpose gluten free flour.