Just the best vegan cornbread, perfect for serving with chili. It’s wonderfully moist, perfectly sweet and only requires one bowl!
Every time we have chili, I have to make some cornbread to go along with it. The whole family loves it, and it makes a pot of chili go a lot further! My kids have recently decided that they love chili, and demand it often. I’ve tried several vegan cornbread recipes out there, and haven’t been perfectly happy until this one!
Now, I know people like to get all picky about their cornbread. So let me tell you what this one is all about.
It’s quite sweet, but not overly so. If you don’t like sweet cornbread, you may want to look elsewhere, or just lower the amount of sugar called for. It’s not a savory cornbread though, that’s not what I’m used to, and it’s not my preference!
It’s very moist, with the perfect amount of cornbread texture. I’ve made some cornbreads that have too much “grit” in them. I don’t like that. This one is just perfect in texture, in my opinion. Not totally cake like, but not super gritty either.
It’s made with just one bowl! This is a super easy recipe: dump, mix & bake! Perfect every time.
Serve cornbread with this Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili , Instant Pot Baked Beans, or Ultimate Vegan Chili for optimal results! 🙂
The Best Vegan Cornbread
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a 8 x 8 pan, or a 9 inch round cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, salt and baking powder and stir.
- Now pour in the almond milk and canola oil. Stir until well combined. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- You may use white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour in place of all purpose flour if you wish. I haven't tested it with a gluten-free blend but it may work.
- For oil-free, replace the canola oil with applesauce.
- Adapted from allrecipes.
Hi Nora. I’ve written to you before about how much I love and trust your recipes! I appreciate how you always respond to me! Thank you!
I’ve been making your cornbread for over a year, but recently have been making it at least 2 times a week. I love it, as well as others I share it with, including my Golden retriever.🙂
I’ve made it with almond or soy milk.
I make it in the toaster oven.
I make it with applesauce instead of oil.
I also cut back on the sugar to 1/2 cup.
How do you adjust cooking time if I make muffins?
Hi Maria. Thank you for your fabulous feedback and review, which brought such a smile to my heart! I love that your golden retriever shares the cornbread as well! Muffins will need to cook 18-20 minutes. Wishing you lots of happy cooking!