Oil-free Chocolate Cake with Cashew Vanilla Frosting
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Oil-free Chocolate Cake with Cashew Vanilla Frosting. No applesauce here; the moisture in this cake comes from cooked sweet potato and non-dairy yogurt. You can’t taste the sweet potato at all, it just tastes like a rich chocolate cake!
Looking for a more traditional, rich chocolate cake? Make sure to check out this recipe for The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake!
Oil-free Chocolate Cake
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar, or regular sugar
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup non-dairy chocolate chips, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly spray a 9 inch cake pan with oil, using as little as possible. You can also cut a circle of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan. This will make it easier to pop the cake out when it's done.
- Add all dry ingredients, including chocolate chips, in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- In a blender, add the cooked and cooled sweet potato, almond milk, apple cider vinegar and pure vanilla extract. Blend until very smooth.
- Add the blended mixture to the dry ingredients, and also dump in the non-dairy yogurt. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined, being careful not to over mix.
- Add the cake batter to the pan, spreading it evenly with a spatula.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool completely before frosting (recipe below.)
- I simply microwaved a sweet potato for about 5 minutes, until it was cooked through. You can also bake a sweet potato whole, and then measure out 3/4 cup. I don't recommend boiling sweet potato chunks, as that may make the cake too watery and it won't turn out right.
- I used a cashew based plain yogurt, but any non-dairy yogurt will work such as soy, almond, coconut or cashew. If you are avoiding extra sugar, try to find an unsweetened variety.
- The chocolate chips are optional, but they add a lot to the cake! Calorie calculation includes chocolate chips.
Cashew Vanilla Frosting
- Boil a few cups of water. I do this by heating water in a tea kettle. Once it's boiling, pour it over the cup of cashews in a small bowl or measuring cup. Just cover the cashews. Set aside to soak for an hour.
- Drain and rinse the soaked cashews.
- In a blender, add the cashews, lemon juice, almond milk, maple syrup and vanilla. Blend for a few minutes until very smooth. You may need to scrape the sides a few times.
- Place the frosting in a bowl, cover, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes before spreading onto the cooled cake. It can be used right away, but it will thicken up the longer it cools, which will make it easier to spread.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here