Oil Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies made with just 7 simple ingredients in 20 minutes or less! These cookies have a good amount of crispiness around the edges, but are soft inside. They aren’t as “dense” as other peanut butter cookies, thanks to a secret ingredient!
These Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies are oil free! That’s right, no butter, vegan butter, canola oil or anything like it. There is a lot of peanut butter, so these cookies are by no means low fat, but if you are avoiding oil, then this is a good recipe for you!
These cookies sure don’t need oil to be chewy, rich and delicious. You won’t miss it at all. Most peanut butter cookies call for loads of butter or even shortening. These are a much healthier version of everybody’s favorite cookie! And they don’t sacrifice on taste. The secret ingredient is…… applesauce. I don’t usually like applesauce in dessert recipes, but somehow, it really works in this recipe! It makes the cookies a bit lighter, not as dense as peanut butter cookies usually are. But they still hold together well, and they DON’T taste like applesauce.
My kids love these Oil Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies. They are a true favorite in our home. This recipe makes a pretty small batch, so they might go really fast! Double the recipe if you want more.
If peanut butter and chocolate aren’t your thing, you can leave out the chocolate chips for a purely peanut butter cookie.
These cookies can easily be made gluten free by using a gluten free blend of flour. They turn out just fine with any kind of flour you want to use. Happy baking!
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
Oil Free Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/3 cup organic sugar
- 2 tablespoons no sugar added applesauce
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour or whole wheat pastry flour *Can also use a gluten free mix
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- tiny pinch of salt, optional *If your peanut butter is unsalted, you may add a tiny pinch of salt.
- 1/3 cup dairy free chocolate chips, mini ones if you can find them
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Add the peanut butter, sugar, applesauce and vanilla extract to a medium bowl. Mix well until combined.
- Now add the flour, baking soda and salt if using, to the wet ingredients and mix with a wooden spoon until combined. Do not over mix. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scooping a heaping tablespoon at a time, roll into a ball and flatten onto the baking sheet a little bit, creating a cookie shape. These cookies won't flatten out much while they bake.
- Bake for 8-9 minutes. They will appear very soft and not done, but as they cool they will set. Let them cool for at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan, or they may fall apart.