This Vegan Flag Cake features a fluffy vegan vanilla sheet cake and is topped with cream cheese frosting and fresh fruit, of course! This cake is so fun and is the perfect patriotic dish for the Fourth of July. BONUS: It’s made in 1 bowl!
This flag cake has been a tradition in our home for many, many years now. I’ve been making it since my twins were 2 years old, and they’re now 10 so I guess about 8 years! On another note, why do kids have to grow up so quickly? Geez. Slow down already!
Anyhow, our family doesn’t care for fireworks or even staying up super late on the Fourth, but one thing we always do is make this flag cake. My kids LOVE putting the fruit on the top just right. That means the cake doesn’t always look as good as it does in the photos, but it comes close! I love family traditions, and this is one of my favorites.
This Vegan Flag Cake reminds me of strawberry shortcake. The frosting is just to die for, so try not to spoon it all into your mouth before you even frost the cake ( I definitely didn’t do that….)!
The cake is make with whole wheat pastry flour. The stuff is great for baked goods because it really resembles the lightness of all purpose white flour, but it’s whole grain. I use it a lot for pancakes, cakes, cupcakes, muffins and cookies. Plus it’s super cheap in the bulk bins, but you can always substitute with all purpose flour or gluten free if you want.
The cream cheese frosting is delicious, but if you wanted an easier alternative and you have a store that carries it, you can also use So Delicious Coco Whip. I’ve done that before and it’s pretty tasty!
The other great thing about this flag cake: It’s made using just 1 bowl! I’m all about easy dessert recipes, and I love making things as simple as possible.
*PLEASE NOTE THIS PAGE MAY CONTAIN AFFILIATE LINKS. I ONLY LINK TO PRODUCTS I ABSOLUTELY LOVE AND RECOMMEND. THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT.
If you make this recipe, let me know how it goes! Rate it, leave a comment and tag a photo @noracooksvegan on Instagram. Enjoy!
1 Bowl Vegan Flag Cake
Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounce vegan cream cheese (or 1 cup)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened at room temperature Earth Balance, either from the tub or the stick
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2-1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 cups sliced strawberries
For the Vanilla Cake:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease or spray a 13 by 9 inch cake pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the almond milk and vinegar. Let sit for 1 minute to curdle.
- Now add the oil, sugar and vanilla. Whisk to combine.
- Measure the flour and add on top of the wet mixture. Now sprinkle on the baking powder and salt. Mix with a wooden spoon until the batter is smooth. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared cake pan. Bake for about 30 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean and the cake is just a little golden on top.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before frosting. Wipe the bowl out for the frosting, or rinse quickly and dry.
For the Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In the same bowl you used for the cake, add the softened vegan butter and vegan cream cheese. Beat with a hand mixer until creamy, smooth and well combined.
- Add the powdered sugar, 1 cup at a time, until thick and spreadable and to the amount of sweetness you desire. Store in the fridge until you are ready to frost the cake.
Assembling the Cake
- Once it has cooled completely, frost the cake, using as much frosting as you desire. I used all the frosting!
- Now comes the fun: Carefully place the blueberries and sliced strawberries on the cake, making a flag design. See the pictures above.
- Serve and enjoy! Store any extra cake in the fridge for 2 days, if it lasts that long.
- If you are using coconut oil, you may need to warm your almond milk for a minute before using, so the coconut oil doesn't thicken when it hits the milk.
- May substitute gluten free or all purpose flour for the whole wheat pastry flour if needed or desired. I don't recommend using regular whole wheat flour, as it's too heavy.
- May also use So Delicious Coco Whip instead of the Vegan Cream Cheese Frosting if desired. You will need 1 container.