Vegan Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies are just as delicious as they are beautiful! Chocolate and peanut butter come together in these decadent, fudgy treats.
Chocolate + peanut butter is a match made in heaven if you ask me, and in brownies? Simply incredible. You will have trouble not eating the whole pan!
The best part about this recipe is how easy they are to make. I probably tested it 8 times before I found a winner. You see, I wanted to make them really simple to make, in 1 bowl and with easy to find ingredients. Not an easy task!
These brownies are made in 1 bowl, and include both dairy free chocolate chips AND cocoa powder for ultra chocolate fudginess. The peanut butter swirl is easy to make as well. Let’s do this!
How to make vegan peanut butter brownies
(This is an overview with photos, the full recipe is at the bottom of the post)
Get out a large microwave safe bowl, that is big enough to contain all the ingredients but also fit in your microwave. I have a glass bowl that works perfectly. Add the chocolate chips, vegan butter (or coconut oil) and cocoa powder. Melt in 30 second intervals until smooth.
Now stir in the vanilla and sugar.
Pour in the soy milk and stir it in as well.
Now add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl.
Stir with a large spoon until just combined. Don’t over mix. Fold in optional additional chocolate chips, if desired.
Transfer the batter to the prepared pan (8 by 8 inch). You can either wipe out the bowl to keep this recipe truly 1 bowl, or use a smaller bowl to make the peanut butter swirl. Stir together the peanut butter, melted vegan butter, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth, then drop spoonfuls on top of the brownies.
Swirl, using a butter knife. I drag the knife one way, then the other way, until pretty swirls are formed. It doesn’t have to be perfect.
Bake for 35-40 minutes, until they appear mostly set. They will be gooey if you cut them right away, especially in the middle, so I recommend you cool them completely before cutting. I know this is hard! But your brownies will be better for it.
Want more chocolate peanut butter desserts?
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Bars
- Vegan Peanut Butter Cups
- Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Balls
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Vegan Peanut Butter Swirl Brownies
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease an 8 by 8 inch baking pan.
- In a large microwave safe bowl, add the chocolate chips, vegan butter (or coconut oil) and cocoa. Melt in the microwave in 30 second increments until mostly melted, and stir well at each interval. It took me 1 minute and 30 seconds. It should be completely melted and smooth.
- Stir in the vanilla and sugar, then stir in the soy milk until smooth.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the bowl with the chocolate mixture. Stir with a wooden spoon until just combined. Fold in extra chocolate chips, if desired.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan, evenly.
- Make the peanut butter swirl: In a medium bowl, stir together the peanut butter, melted vegan butter, powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Drop spoonfuls of the peanut butter mixture on top of the brownies, then swirl it with a butter knife.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes. For best results, let the brownies cool completely before cutting. You can stick them in the refrigerator to speed up the process. If you cut them immediately they will be very gooey in the middle, but if you let them cool they will be just perfect. Enjoy!
- For best results, use regular creamy peanut butter that doesn't need to be stirred before using. Natural peanut butter can be very inconsistent and either too thick or too runny to work well.
- I tested these with coconut oil and liked the vegan butter version better, but it does work fine.
- You can substitute another non-dairy milk for the soy milk if desired. Even water will work!
- For gluten free, use a gluten free flour mix instead of the all purpose flour.
- Peanut allergy? Try almond butter or even tahini.