I have been making a version of these “oatmeal fingers” since Jonah was 6 months old. We mostly did Baby Led Weaning with him, instead of spoon feeding him baby mush. He wouldn’t stand for baby food puree, even homemade, and has never really enjoyed those convenient pouches. He doesn’t even really like smoothies! He prefers to chew his food, drink water, and of course drink a lot of breastmilk. 🙂
I make these Banana Hemp Oatmeal Fingers for Jonah almost every morning, or sometimes for an afternoon snack if he didn’t have them for breakfast. I love that they are fast, cheap and easy to make. They are also incredibly healthy and I love that I can sneak in some hemp seeds for some added protein and healthy fat.
Some of my other favorite baby/toddler breakfasts are:
Whole grain toast with almond or peanut butter
Healthy homemade pancakes or waffles
And of course, lots of fruit. His favorites are frozen wild little blueberries, grapes, apples, pears, and strawberries.
The trick to get these oatmeal fingers to be firm enough that baby can pick them up easily is simply to let them sit for about 5 minutes after you cook them. You could let them sit up to a half an hour after cooking; they will still be good. I hope your baby enjoys these as much as mine does!
Baby Banana Hemp Oatmeal Fingers
- 1 small hunk banana, about 1/6 of a whole banana
- 1/4 cup quick cooking oats
- 1/4 cup soy, almond or coconut milk
- 1-2 tsp hemp seeds
- sprinkle cinnamon, optional
- First, get a cereal sized bowl out and mash the banana in it.
- Add the quick cooking oats, milk, hemp seeds and a sprinkle of cinnamon, if using. Mix well with a fork or spoon, scraping the sides down as good as you can.
- Place the bowl in microwave and cook for 2 minutes.
- Let sit for at least 5 minutes before cutting into about 4 "fingers". Make sure they are not too hot for baby, and serve!