Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Full of flavor and so simple to make, this Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili is a wonderfully satisfying vegetarian meal! Best served with avocado chunks, cilantro and cornbread.
Want to impress a crowd with an incredible vegan dish? This chili is the perfect choice! Make a batch of The Best Vegan Cornbread to go with it and you’re set.
How to make it
This chili is so easy to make!
- Saute a chopped onion in a pot with a little olive oil. Add garlic and a large chopped/peeled sweet potato and cook 1 more minute.
- Add spices (chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, salt) and stir.
- Pour in a can of diced tomatoes, two cans of black beans and two cups of water.
- Stir, bring to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes. That’s it!
Special Tips & Instructions
- How to make it in an Instant Pot: Saute the onion, then the garlic and sweet potato in the Instant Pot, then add the spices. Add the diced tomatoes, black beans and water. Stir, seal and cook for 8 minutes at high pressure.
- How to make in a Slow Cooker: Add all ingredients to slow cooker/crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or 7-8 hours on low.
- Veggie Swaps: Swap butternut squash for the sweet potato for a change (YUM!). You can also add about 2 cups of chopped spinach or kale near the end of cooking for some green goodness.
What to serve with chili
I love this sweet potato black bean chili with chopped avocado, cilantro and green onions. And a side of vegan cornbread, of course! Other options: vegan sour cream, sprinkle of non-dairy cheese shreds, tortilla chips, guacamole, diced red onion, or a scoop of brown rice.
If you want a more traditional, “meaty” chili, make sure to check out my award winning Ultimate Vegan Chili!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 2 tablespoons mild chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 28 ounces diced tomatoes, with their juices, OR fire roasted tomatoes
- (2) 15-ounce cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups water
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the olive oil. Saute the diced onion for 3-4 minutes, until translucent, then add in the garlic and sweet potato and cook about 2 more minutes.
- Next add the chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika and salt. Stir into the vegetable mixture.
- Pour in the diced tomatoes along with their juices, drained and rinsed black beans and the 2 cups of water. Stir to combine. Simmer the mixture, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes.
- Use the back of a spoon to mash some of the sweet potatoes for a thicker texture, if desired.
- For oil free, simply use water to saute instead of oil.
- May substitute peeled/chopped butternut squash for the sweet potato, if desired. You could also add 2 cups of baby spinach or chopped kale.
- To make in an Instant Pot: Use the saute feature and cook the onion, then the garlic and sweet potato, then the spices just like in the regular instructions. Turn off the Instant Pot for a moment and add the diced tomatoes, black beans and water. Stir, then seal and set the timer to 8 minutes at high pressure. Release pressure manually, and serve with desired toppings.
- To make in a Crock Pot: Add all ingredients to a crock pot and cook on high for 4-5 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- The recipe can easily be doubled or even tripled to serve a large crowd.
- The chili freezes well and will keep in the refrigerator for 4-5 days.
*The recipe was originally posted February 2017 and has been updated with better photos/writing and recipe March 2020.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here