Best Vegan Banana Cake
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
This is the Best Vegan Banana Cake ever! It’s incredibly moist and fluffy and topped with a simple vegan cream cheese frosting. If you have a few overripe bananas, make this easy cake!
This cake is delightful and so easy to make. It’s full of banana flavor and ultra moist. I just know you will love it!
Frequently asked questions about vegan banana cake
- Can I make it gluten free? Yes. To make the cake gluten free, substitute an all purpose gluten free flour, such as Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 or King Arthur brand.
- Can I turn the cake into cupcakes? Sure! For cupcakes, simply fill liners about 1/2 full and bake for 18-22 minutes until done. You will end up with about 2 dozen cupcakes.
- Can I make a layered banana cake? Yes. To make a double layered cake, divide the batter between 2 greased 8 or 9 inch cake pans. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- I want to use another frosting. If you want an option that isn’t vegan cream cheese based, I recommend my Vegan Vanilla Frosting instead.
More delicious vegan cakes
- Vegan Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Vegan Coffee Cake
- Peanut Butter Cake
- Vegan Coconut Cake
- The Best Vegan Chocolate Cake
Best Vegan Banana Cake
- 3 large ripe bananas (1 1/2 cups mashed)
Vegan Buttermilk + Flax
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 ounces vegan cream cheese
- 1/2 cup vegan butter, softened
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- chopped walnuts, optional for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350℉ and grease a 9×13 inch pan.
- Mash the bananas in a medium bowl and set aside. I just use my stand mixer for this, then set them aside in a bowl.
- In a large measuring cup, add the soy milk, apple cider vinegar and ground flaxseeds. Whisk to combine, then set aside.
- In medium bowl, add the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and whisk to combine. Set aside.
- In a stand mixer with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the vegan butter for about a minute until creamy. Now add the sugars and beat for 2 minutes until combined. Add the vanilla and mashed bananas and mix in.
- Alternate adding the milk/flaxseed mixture and the dry ingredients, in about three additions, mixing until each addition is just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Transfer the cake batter to the pan and bake for 45-50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in a wire rack. Let it cool completely before frosting. I usually stick it in the refrigerator to speed this up.
Make the frosting
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using a whisk attachment or a large bowl using a handheld mixer, beat the vegan cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Then add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat, starting on low speed and increasing to high, for about 2 minutes.
- Frost the cooled cake, sprinkle with chopped walnuts or sliced bananas if desired and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Enjoy!
- Gluten free? Try a gluten free all purpose mix, like Bob’s Red Mill 1:1 Flour or King Arthur brand.
- May use another milk, such as almond, cashew, oat or coconut.
- You could likely substitute coconut oil for the vegan butter, or perhaps another oil if desired.
- You can fold some chopped walnuts or other nuts into the cake if you’d like, I would suggest 1 cup chopped nuts.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Read my full disclosure here