The most amazing peanut butter banana smoothie with only 3 ingredients! Totally vegan and so easy to make. Tastes like a milkshake!
Look at that glorious milkshake-like texture. This smoothie is thick, creamy, frosty and so simple to make! Perfect for a quick breakfast or to enjoy on a hot Summer day. You might also enjoy my favorite green smoothie.
Sometimes I up the nutrition by adding a handful or two of spinach and a few tablespoons of hemp seeds for protein. The trick to a banana smoothie that tastes like ice cream is to make sure it’s nice and thick, so don’t add too much non-dairy milk.
3 simple ingredients
All you need are these 3 ingredients you probably already have:
- Bananas – 2 bananas, chopped or sliced and frozen. I like to buy bananas in bulk, wait until they are ripe, then peel, chop and freeze for future smoothies.
- Peanut Butter – I use natural creamy peanut butter here. If you have a peanut allergy, feel free to substitute almond butter or even sunflower seed butter.
- Vanilla Soy Milk – Sometimes I use vanilla oat milk, hemp milk or almond milk, depending on what I have on hand. If you only have unsweetened and unflavored plant milk, add 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract and a few dates or 1-2 tablespoons pure maple syrup for sweetness.
How to make a peanut butter banana smoothie
It’s incredibly easy once you have frozen the bananas and will take less than 5 minutes to make.
Simply add all the ingredients to a high powered blender (a regular blender might work okay).
Blend on high until very smooth and creamy but thick. Add more milk only if necessary to blend, but not too much because you want the smoothie to be thick. If it does get too thin for some reason, add a handful of ice to thicken it up.
For a chocolate peanut butter smoothie, add 1-2 tablespoons of cocoa powder. This is my children’s favorite kind of smoothie!
More optional additions
- Add a handful or two of baby spinach. It will make the smoothie green but you really won’t taste it!
- 1-2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds, chia seeds or hemp seeds.
Peanut Butter Banana Smoothie
- 2 bananas, cut into chunks and frozen
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup vanilla soy milk, more if needed to blend
- optional: 1-2 tablespoons natural cocoa powder
- Place all ingredients in a high powered blender. If you want a chocolate peanut butter smoothie, add in the cocoa powder.
- Blend on high until very smooth, adding more milk as needed. Don't add too much because you want the smoothie to be very thick and milkshake like.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Make one large smoothie or two smaller smoothies. May use less peanut butter to make the smoothie lighter.
- Buy bananas in bulk and freeze once ripe! Bananas are so inexpensive, I love to buy a bunch, wait until they are ripe with spots, then peel, slice and freeze for smoothies.
- Can't have peanuts? Try with almond butter or even sunflower seed butter instead.
- Soy milk alternative - To keep it 3 ingredients, use a vanilla flavored plant milk, such as almond, hemp, oat or coconut. If you only have unsweetened milk, add 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla and either 1-2 dates or a few tablespoons of pure maple syrup to sweeten.
- More nutrition - Add 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds or hemp seeds for extra nutrients and protein. Or a cup or two of baby spinach. It will make the smoothie green but you won't taste it at all!
What are cooked oats? I have rolled oats in the cupboard.. will that work?
I’m a little confused about the question, there are no oats in the peanut butter banana smoothie. 🙂