This is the best vegan banana bread recipe ever, and it is so easy to make! The classic loaf is made using 1 bowl with simple ingredients and many options- make it oil free, with or without walnuts or chocolate chips. This is the only banana bread recipe you will need!
Everybody needs a good banana bread recipe. I can’t be the only one who forever has spotted, too ripe bananas on my counter. I make banana bread quite often, so the recipe is EASY, flexible and completely delicious!
I think you are going to love it.
How to make vegan banana bread, step by step:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a loaf pan. Make your flax eggs in a small bowl.
In a large bowl, mash the bananas, then stir in the melted vegan butter (or applesauce). Add the sugar, flax eggs and almond milk. Stir well.
Then add the flour, baking soda, salt and nutmeg, if using. Stir gently until just combined.
TIP: Fresh ground nutmeg is amazing in banana bread. I recently ordered this grater/zester and I’m so happy with it. I love using it for zesting lemons and ginger, too. Get yourself some whole nutmeg and you will have fresh ground nutmeg in no time!
This post contains affiliate links. Read my full disclosure here.
Fold in the walnuts or chocolate chips, your choice. OR leave the banana bread pure with no fold-ins. Your choice!
Next, pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Sprinkle with more walnuts or chocolate chips, if desired.
Bake for about 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick or knife comes out clean. It will be golden brown on top and around the edges. A toothpick inserted in the center should come out clean.
Let it cool in the pan for a few minutes, then pop it out and place it on a cooling rack or parchment paper. It will slice easier the longer you let it cool, but sometimes I’m too impatient and it slices okay while hot.
TIPS for the best vegan banana bread:
- Use really ripe bananas. The riper, the better!
- Brown sugar – it provides a richness that you just can’t get with regular sugar
- Use melted vegan butter – It makes for a moist, flavorful loaf. Applesauce works okay, if you are oil free, but it’s best with some vegan butter.
- Wrap it well overnight to prevent it from drying out.
Want more vegan dessert loaf recipes?
Easy Vegan Banana Bread
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 5 tablespoons water
- 2 large ripe bananas, about 1 cup mashed
- 1/3 cup melted vegan butter OR applesauce
- 2/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour OR all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground nutmeg, optional but good
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts or non-dairy chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and grease a loaf pan.
- In a small bowl, combine the ground flaxseed and water. Set aside to thicken; this is your "egg".
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas with a fork until smooth. Stir the melted vegan butter (or applesauce) into the bananas.
- Now add the brown sugar, almond milk and flax eggs. Mix well to combine.
- Add the flour. Sprinkle the baking soda, salt and nutmeg on top of the flour. Stir gently until just combined, making sure you don't over mix.
- Fold in the walnuts or chocolate chips, if using. Pour into the prepared pan, and bake for 50-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let it cool in the pan for a few minutes, then transfer the loaf to parchment paper or a cooling rack. Slice carefully right away, or let cool completely for easier slicing and serving.
- May use white sugar instead of brown if that's what you have on hand.
- Oil free: Use applesauce instead of melted vegan butter. I have tested it and both are very tasty! If you don't have vegan butter, you can also use canola or coconut oil.
- Gluten Free: Use a gluten free flour mix. May also sub spelt flour for a whole grain option.
- Calories listed are using white flour, melted vegan butter and walnuts.
- Cover leftover banana bread and keep at room temperature 1-2 days, or keep it in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.