These Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars are soft, chewy, thick and so easy to make. Easier than making cookies!
Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 8 or 9 inch square baking pan with parchment paper, leaving overhang on the sides for easy removal.
- In a small bowl, stir the ground flaxseeds and water and let it sit for a few minutes. This is your flax egg.
- In a large bowl, whisk the melted vegan butter with the brown and granulated sugars until smooth. Now add in the flax egg and vanilla and stir with a large spoon to combine.
- To the bowl with the wet butter/sugar mixture, add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt and stir until combined. The dough should be thick and soft.
- Fold in almost all of the chocolate chips, saving some for the top.
- Transfer to the prepared pan and press it down evenly. Sprinkle with more chocolate chips if desired, and bake for 30-32 minutes until lightly golden on top.
- Let cool in the pan for 15-20 minutes, then lift the parchment paper out of the pan and cut into squares. Will keep in an airtight container for about a week. Can be frozen as well. Enjoy!
- I used earth balance brand, but you can use another brand of vegan butter such as Melt or Miyoko’s. I haven’t tested them with coconut oil, but it would probably work fine.
- If needed, you can leave out the cornstarch or use arrowroot instead. Tapioca flour would also work.
- Gluten free: Use a quality gluten free flour mix, but do not attempt to use almond or coconut flour, they will not work.
- Some brands of chocolate chips are accidentally vegan, check the ingredients for things like milk fat and butter oil. Guittard semi sweet are vegan.
- You can double this recipe if desired. Bake in a 9×13 inch dish for 40 minutes when doubling.