The BEST and most PERFECT vegan snickerdoodles ever! Soft, thick and oh-so puffy, these cookies are sure to be a hit! They are easy to make and turn out perfect every time.
I’ve been wanting to share these vegan snickerdoodles for a long time, so I’m super excited to finally be getting around to it today! I developed the recipe and tested it several times last year around the holiday season, but I was never happy with the photos I took and I just didn’t get around to posting it before January. So I decided to wait for the next holiday season to roll around, and I think we are finally there! (Not that it’s the holiday season quite yet, it’s only October, but close enough for me!)
Snickerdoodles are my 10 year old son’s favorite cookie ever, and he does a happy dance every time I make them. I’m with him; I actually prefer these to my Perfect Vegan Chocolate Chip Cookies! And those are incredible, so go make them if you’re in the mood for chocolate chip. 🙂
How do you make vegan snickerdoodles?
My favorite thing about these cookies is they come out perfect every time, and don’t require any chilling time.
First, make your flax egg in a small bowl, mix the cinnamon sugar topping, and preheat the oven.
Then, cream together the vegan butter and sugar. Please try to use earth balance brand of vegan butter, the other brands I’ve tried have strange flavors and may ruin the cookies. You can use a wooden spoon for this, a stand mixer or a handheld mixer, whatever you prefer.
Now mix in the flax egg and vanilla. Stir.
Next, you’re going to quickly whisk all the dry ingredients in a medium sized bowl. Add dry to wet and mix to make the cooke dough. It will be very thick and may seem too dry at first, but keep mixing and you should get a very thick cookie dough, but still be able to roll it into balls.
Take about 2 tablespoons of dough, roll into a ball and then roll in the cinnamon sugar topping. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets, and bake for 11 minutes.
Let the cookies cool for about 10 minutes on the pan, then transfer to a cooling rack. Eat and enjoy!
I hope you LOVE these Vegan Snickerdoodles as much as I do! They are:
- Soft, thick and so puffy!
- Slightly tangy (from the cream of tartar, which really makes them different from a sugar cookie)
- Full of cinnamon sugar goodness
- Easy and fast to make
For more delicious vegan cookie recipes, try one of these:
Happy baking friends!
Recipe adapted from Sally’s Baking Addiction.
Vegan Snickerdoodles - Soft, Thick & Puffy
- 1 tablespoons ground flaxseed
- 2.5 tablespoons water
- 1 cup earth balance vegan butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Make the flax egg: Combine ground flaxseed and water in a small bowl and set aside to thicken.
- Make the topping: In a small bowl, combine the sugar and cinnamon and stir. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together the vegan butter and sugar for about 1-2 minutes using a handheld mixer, stand mixer, or even just a wooden spoon. Mix in the flax egg and vanilla, scraping the sides as needed. Set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl, add the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt and whisk to combine.
- Add dry to the wet ingredients, and stir by hand with a wooden spoon. The dough will be quite thick, you may even need to use your hands towards the end to get it all combined. You should be able to carefully roll the dough in balls, but it will be thick and not too wet.
- Take about 2 tablespoons of dough and roll into a ball. Repeat, and roll the balls in the cinnamon-sugar topping. Place on baking sheets and bake for 11 minutes. The cookies will be very soft. Let them cool for about 10 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cookies will keep for up to 1 week in an airtight container at room temperature.
- I have not tried these cookies with coconut oil or any other oil. For best results use earth balance brand vegan butter.